Water Bucket Idea

cameron

Market
Reaction score
I was scooping dog food out of our dog food storage bucket which is called Vittles Vault. Wonder if it would make a good water container. Thoughts?

Product.aspx

I have a couple of them for my dogs. I don't see why it wouldn't make a good container, but it has a small opening. It's not big enough for me to get my bucket in there. You could use a powerhead though. Also, it's nowhere near big enough for what I need.

If you have no use for it, then I would consider it, but I prefer the rubbermaid containers and their knock-off's for my water storage.

Also, another thing to think about, is that you don't want it airtight either. You want your storage water circulating and being aerated. I have pumps in both of my storage containers, moving the water around and injecting air into it.

Just my .02

Not that expensive, if it doesn't distend under water pressure when full. I have yet to find a Rubbermaid product that I can fit the lid on once I've filled it more than 1/2 way with water.

Plus, with flat walls, you could drill it for a bulkhead for easy pouring. Put it on a shelf and you've got an easy water change station.

George wrote: Not that expensive, if it doesn't distend under water pressure when full. I have yet to find a Rubbermaid product that I can fit the lid on once I've filled it more than 1/2 way with water.

Plus, with flat walls, you could drill it for a bulkhead for easy pouring. Put it on a shelf and you've got an easy water change station.

That's weird. I have two Sterilite containers (I think it's Sterilite) from Wal-Mart that are rubbermaid knock-off's and I can get both lids on easily. One is a 35g and the other is a 40g. Granted they both bow out some, but the lids go on and stay on. I also have an 18g rubbermaid I use for my ATO container and I fill that to about 3" from the top and it bows, but I get the top on that one easily as well and it stays on.

I have a ton of rubermaid containers, but I want something for the long haul. Containers that are meant to hold water start at over 50 bucks. This one looks super sturdy, isn't type 7 plastic and I don't think it will bow out like all my other containers. I need two containers that will fit under the cabinet that I have (one for salt and one for fresh) and floor space is a premium so I need to go up rather than out. I plan on putting a pump in both and shooting water into them from the RO/DI and pumping out via two small quite one pumps.

Maveri9720 wrote: That's weird. I have two Sterilite containers (I think it's Sterilite) from Wal-Mart that are rubbermaid knock-off's and I can get both lids on easily. One is a 35g and the other is a 40g. Granted they both bow out some, but the lids go on and stay on. I also have an 18g rubbermaid I use for my ATO container and I fill that to about 3" from the top and it bows, but I get the top on that one easily as well and it stays on.
I have these as well. They are much stiffer than Rubbermaid containers, but if you're talking about the clear ones like they have in the home organization aisles, the plastic is much more brittle than I'd prefer such that I'd think it might fracture if I knocked it.

No, I'm not talking about the clear ones. One is tan and the other is blue.

I don't think you can beat them for the price and how well they hold up.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1153&highlight=items">I posted this</a> a while back, and still would recommend them over that:

[B]Storage tanks:
[/B][IMG]http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=32&product%5Fid=4293">[B][IMG]http://www.usplastic.com/images/products/Tanks/8531p.jpg alt="" />[/B]</a>

I have a 65g tank for SW mixing and a 25g tank for RO/DI water. These tanks are great because they are made</em> to hold water, unlike rubbermaids that get flimsy. They're plastic, so easily modifiable; I drilled the top and put in a ball valve in the included bulkhead at the bottom. Works incredibly well.

Can be found at
product.asp

Back