water change ideas

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
Interested in what everyone does to make water changes easier. I have seen people that have a gate valve that opens and drains, people that use buckets etc etc.

Here is my contraption, it is configured to drain 15% of the current water to the yard and then I hook the same hose up to my pump and put the new water in without disrupting sand etc.

What do you all use?

waterch.jpg
alt="" />

I'd be nervous using any type of metal fitting to pump water back into the tank. Is that brass?

Seth The Wine Guy;984479 wrote: I'd be nervous using any type of metal fitting to pump water back into the tank. Is that brass?
+1.........get rid of all the metal, unless that valve is made of titanium.

the brass will go shortly. I use RV hoses and I need to cut the ends off of them and clamp them onto barbed fittings. As soon as I do that I just need to find a plastic form of quick release.

It's only been used twice so im not too worried about anything leaching into the water just yet.

I use a python hose from my fresh water days I let it drain into my back yard then I hook it up to my mag 12 to pump the water from my fish room in my basement

Allen;984529 wrote: I have poured my tank water on my sod and bushes time after time with no ill effects.
+1 the bush i have been dumping salt water from my deck is actully my fastest growing bush.

fishtank;984503 wrote: the brass will go shortly. I use RV hoses and I need to cut the ends off of them and clamp them onto barbed fittings. As soon as I do that I just need to find a plastic form of quick release.

It's only been used twice so im not too worried about anything leaching into the water just yet.

You can get all that at Lowes.

bcrueter;984530 wrote: +1 the bush i have been dumping salt water from my deck is actully my fastest growing bush.

I wiped out the hedges in front of my house w/ salt water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcrueter;984530 wrote: +1 the bush i have been dumping salt water from my deck is actully my fastest growing bush.

It's probably what's in the water; the fertilizer from your tankmates. :D

Wannabee

A lot of it depends on how much water you are pumping out each time, but in the long run salt will kill plants. That's why Rome is a bustling tourist destination and Carthage is a ruin.

Camellia;984520 wrote: Doesn't this kill your grass & shrubs?

Never had a problem out with my Bermuda grass i dump around 35-50 gallons total from two tanks been doin this for years

Actually, Bermuda grass is known for being highly salt tolerant, so Willie1983 may be just fine even in the long run. I'd still try not to dump in the same spot every time, though.

How do you vacuum your substrate?

Nothing wrong with a PVC/tubing contraption but if you are just draining water and pumping new water in, you're missing out on a lot of detritus removal. Vacuum the substrate, fan the rocks and dislodge mulm that has settled and get it out of there.

Vacuuming is more important than many people realize.

Jenn

Back