water change

wable

Reaction score
when doing a water change do i need to be concerned with the temperature of the new water?

Naturally you want your pH, salinity and temp to match that of your tank.

The easiest thing to do is to bring up the temp of the fresh water with a heater, <u>and then</u> add the salt. It's much easier to dissolve salt in warm water than in cold.

I do 15 gal every 2 weeks. I have the water at room temp and do not adjust the water temp. It is cooler then tank but 15 g to 100 gal won't make that much of a change.

roundman;175546 wrote: I do 15 gal every 2 weeks. I have the water at room temp and do not adjust the water temp. It is cooler then tank but 15 g to 100 gal won't make that much of a change.

How do you add the water to the system? That is fine, provided you dont dump you newer water right into the tank, or more important, not right onto a specimen. I just ponied up the $10 for a heater.

SMALL temp changes are not a problem (1- 2 degrees) but try to avoid any more than that.

If you change 20% water that is 10 degrees warmer than the tank. your water will change 2 degrees. If you change 10% instead it will only change 1 degree. Also if you change water slowly the rocks will help stablize temp because they are tank temp...

my tank is a 29g and the water is purchased from a lfs. it will be a 10% change and water is at room temp.

wable;175552 wrote: my tank is a 29g and the water is purchased from a lfs. it will be a 10% change and water is at room temp.

You'll be fine. Just add the water slowly, and not directly onto an animal.

Back