water changes and cynobacteria

oil_fan

Market
Reaction score
Just a couple quick questions.

1. While I don't mind doing water changes, anything to make it easier would be nice. Specifically replacing the water into the tank. Right now I just pour it in there. What do others do so I can be a bit more lazy on this?? heh

2. I also have a pretty bad case of cyno. I eventually traced this to being most likely my filters in my RO/DI needing replacing. The TDS reading before new filters was 23 ppm. Since replacing the filters, I've been fairly aggresive on my water changes. Twice a week - 10 gallons per change with this being the forth week of this. The cyno is slowly going away. Any other suggestions or just keep up with the water changes?

i believe cyno can come from "dead" spots in the water.....make sure you have enough power heads creating flow and water movement through out the whole tank look at the pictures of everyones tank and you will see where they place there koralias and Mj's and all the diff styles of powerheads.

I say this because i think i had cyano really bad and i added 3 powerheads and i have never looked back one of the best upgrades to my tank i have done was getting some good quality Powerheads

Oil_Fan;276331 wrote: Just a couple quick questions.

1. While I don't mind doing water changes, anything to make it easier would be nice. Specifically replacing the water into the tank. Right now I just pour it in there. What do others do so I can be a bit more lazy on this?? heh

2. I also have a pretty bad case of cyno. I eventually traced this to being most likely my filters in my RO/DI needing replacing. The TDS reading before new filters was 23 ppm. Since replacing the filters, I've been fairly aggresive on my water changes. Twice a week - 10 gallons per change with this being the forth week of this. The cyno is slowly going away. Any other suggestions or just keep up with the water changes?

I just take a pump and pump it back into the tank; for no more than 10g's you could take a maxi jet and a small piece of tubing and pump it back into the tank that way--and that prob. wouldn't create such a 'disturbance' in the tank as just dumping water in.

Cut your lights back and even go a day or two (at most) w/o using the lights; I'd repeat this about once a week until under control. If you could suck out all the cyano possible that would help out tremendously-it's just a normal part of cycling-and just make sure you don't overfeed and are using good water (0 TDS).

ericmcj31;276351 wrote: If you could suck out all the cyano possible that would help out tremendously-it's just a normal part of cycling

This has been a part of conversation between me and some other reefers lately. I have been extremely anal with my PWC's, testing, skimming, feeding, light cycle, you name it and after 6 months of running, I still got a little cyano. I know there are the lucky few who haven't had it, but I am certainly of the school of thought that cyano is just a piece of the puzzle as a tank matures.

Ya I've been fighting this stuff for that last few months. I'm hoping my water changes will help and eventually clear it up.

Now to find a pump that doesn't need to be immersed in the water.

jonboyb;276365 wrote: This has been a part of conversation between me and some other reefers lately. I have been extremely anal with my PWC's, testing, skimming, feeding, light cycle, you name it and after 6 months of running, I still got a little cyano. I know there are the lucky few who haven't had it, but I am certainly of the school of thought that cyano is just a piece of the puzzle as a tank matures.
I agree with you on this. Seems every tank I have set up has gotten at least a little cyano. usually around 2 months into it being set up. Usually a small bloom and goes away.

I have been fighting it for months, and it just won't go away. I have all but given up on it...

I've had the stuff since November or so. At least in quantity. I just keep blowing the stuff off of the rocks when I do a water change and pick it off the sand.

Back