Water changes

jason sartain

Market
Reaction score
Do you guys do a water change if your water params are still good? I've had to do 2 water changes in about the last 4 months according to my params,should I do them anyway?

I try and do a 15 g water change every 2 weeks. You are replacing the minerals in the water not just changing water to clean it.

I do a water change 2x a month, even if your tests show up 0 it could be that algae in your tank is actually using up the nitrates and so it doesn't show up on the test, plus (at least with my salt: Reef Crystals) I don't have to dose nearly as often because my salt has a bunch of calcium and other chemicals in it. Some people don't do them but once every 2 months, some once a week. Some 10% some 20% I've even heard of a guy who only does 1x a month but 50% (I don't think that's a good idea...). But everyone's got their own schedule

I do a 10% change every two weeks. Mainly to replace minerals that corals etc. need and also to get some fresh water into the tank. It's much better for everything in the tank that way.

I know a guy with a 300+g fowlr tank that has not done a water change in over 3 years. Everything seems pretty healthy too.

I would do the water changes as you will have less surprises and problems down the road. Yes, you do hear of those who have very large tanks and do not do as many but those with smaller tanks are asking for trouble by not doing them consistently. Once a week or so for 10-15% is what I try to do. With that done your sickness and loss will be minimun.

Joe

I do a 5 to 10% water change about once a month. I do, however, have my skimmer run wet, so have have to replace salt water 2x a week minimum. Also, I use b-ionic two part & seachem reefsalt which replace trace minerals.

I went almost 8 months without changing the water... I didn't have a lot of SPS at the time though as it was mostly LPS, zoas, btas, and other softies. I finally had to change the water when my macroalgae went asexual. :sad: I was hoping to make it to one year at least...

I tried to do the same thing when I started getting into SPS but to no avail. Even though I was dosing trace elements and other nonsense additives my SPS would suffer until I started doing monthly water changes. :sad:

dawgdude;189336 wrote: Well I dont know about you but I would really hate to be swimming around in 3 yrs worth of poo and pee. Its kind of cruel to not do WC IMO.

most of that can be picked up by filtration or eaten by some other creature/bacteria, but I was just saying some people let it go for a while w/o a change, and I couldn't tell you if the fish were happy, they just seemed healthy.

there's like 70 trace elements in saltwater, so good luck measuring the right amount to dose, testing, and then storing and buying all those trace elements!!! forgetaboutit!!! And you have no way of knowing which critters are using them up or how fast unless you are the marine biology pro.

Its like me feeding your carrots and only carrots for 2 months and hope that works out ok for you and you get the vitamins you need.

Water changes are definitely the way to keep the reef healthy and happy!!! I do 25 gallons every month.

I do frequent small water changes of 5g-10g every week. My tank is about 90g. All of my corals seem to perk up when I do these. I use this time to feed the corals as well so this may be why they like it. :)

Water changes are really great for nutrient export. Nutrient export is really critical -- the nutrients can build up for a while, and then you end up battling hair algae and all kinds of other pests that can reproduce very rapidly to take advantage of all that "food" in the tank.

You can see a lot of reefers battling hair algae, aiptasia, etc. when really the problem is all the food fueling those critters. I went without changing the water when I first got one of my tanks, and ended up with colonial hydroids all over one rock and getting started on the others. The stuff seemed unkillable and I was plotting all kinds of ways to get rid of it, but after my fish died (power outage) the hydroids (dreaded myrionema) are just going away on their own.

Also, many of your corals and other critters fight silent battles through chemical warfare -- water changes will dilute those toxins.

Depending on your bioload, etc, you might be able to get away with no water changes, but IMO it really helps with a nice pretty, stable tank.

I have noticed that when I don't do water changes, the corals are not as colourful.

Barbara;190066 wrote: Hey Doc, next time you're sitting at home bored, come over to my house and do my water change. I'll give you a beer......

How much of a change represents how much beer I recieve for my services..

Back