Water stains on glass lid, I've tried almost everything

mike_chisel

Reaction score
Is there any secret that anyone knows on how to get this off? Ive tried vinegar, baking soda, polishing it with toothpaste and bar keepers and friend which seems to work for everyone else but not for me. I just want it clean without using some harmful chemicals. Thanks.

77ea740ad37dfba5e75d9730e5f6e012.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barry_keith;1118278 wrote: ^^^
That or try some white vinegar

I've tried vinegar, the bar keepers and friend is supposed to be much stronger than vinegar, that's why I don't know what to try next :( just won't come off

ClowningAround;1118277 wrote: Have you tried a razor blade scrapper?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That's the one thing I haven't yet I'll try it and let you know, for some reason I didn't think it would help but I'll try anything now

ClowningAround;1118277 wrote: Have you tried a razor blade scrapper?

Just tried the razor blade and it doesn't do anything I can scratch it with the tip but I can't scrape it

I use CLR on my glass tops and it works well. Just make sure you rinse it after

Perhaps then time to try some acetone on a spot. Just be sure to clean before going back into service. How long did you let the vinegar soak, and was it full strength?

ClowningAround;1118288 wrote: Perhaps then time to try some acetone on a spot. Just be sure to clean before going back into service. How long did you let the vinegar soak, and was it full strength?

Used regular vinegar I didn't water it down and i let it sit for about 30 min, I threw it on the tank for now but I'll take it off and keep trying stuff I really want it to be clear

Tagging along. Mine has been slowly fogging over for 5 years and I haven't found anything that works.

Clr or muratic acid. Would be my next step.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Acetone didn't do anything either, and the vinegar was regular white distilled, haven't had time to try clr but I think that's my next step thanks guys, if I find something that works I'll post it for everyone to see

Mike_chisel;1118283 wrote: Just tried the razor blade and it doesn't do anything I can scratch it with the tip but I can't scrape it

Fyi sounds like its time for a new blade. Dont get me wrong it may still be sharp for most task but scrapping requires a very sharp / new blade. For example I just tore down a 30g this past weekend, I used 9 blades both to take it apart and to scrape remainig silicone and haze.

ClowningAround;1118517 wrote: Oh and blade angle makes a world of difference too

Blade was brand new, still wrapped in paper. I tried different angles and all I could do was kind scratch it with the tip

At this point, would a new lid be easier and possibly cheaper?

Back