Reaction score
Hey Guys,

what do you think of this? any flaws?

Thanks,
Jorge
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Figured they'd help aerate the water while its being stored in there. Is that not necessary? or better said....does it not provide any benefits?

IMO you dont need the air pumps. In place of this, it wouldnt hurt to use a mag 7or 9 on its side.....I keep them running 24/7 to oxygenate the water for changes, as well as in the SW container, I never have to stir at all.....the Mag pump does it in a matter of minutes to a couple of hours.

Looks nice Jorge!
Hey...contact budsreef! He has a <u>really </u>sweet water storage set up. He lives in Gwinnett too. I am sure Bud would be happy to share some tips.

Jgoal55;270692 wrote: Figured they'd help aerate the water while its being stored in there. Is that not necessary? or better said....does it not provide any benefits?

Na, you don't need them. The powerhead will do just fine.

Also, you don't want to store your sw for too long either (I'm sure you knew that though).

So...how's miami?

Are you planning on opening the Ball Values from the RO Brute to fill up the SW Brute? If that is the case you have to be careful of the SW back washing into your RO Brute. Especially since they will "equal" out or level out. I would suggest to try to build a stand or something to check the fresh water RO Brute is higher than the SW Brute can.

Just my $0.02

Best of luck.

jhutto;270811 wrote: Bud,
Can you share your set of water changes?
Joe

Sure, here is mine. The RO/DI comes into the left container and I mix saltwater in the right one. I only use one pump with the input coming out the bottom of each container. The output of the pump gets split so that I can circulate water in RO/DI wihich I hardly ever do, send the RO/DI over to the salt tank, mix and circulate the saltwater or send it over to my sump. I have pvc inside the containers to help with the mixing. The original idea for this I got from Trinh.
270859=14986-Reef Tank-120G_DSC04128w_RO-DI_System_080731.jpg
>
270859=14986-Reef Tank-120G_DSC04128w_RO-DI_System_080731.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Reef Tank-120G_DSC04128w_RO-DI_System_080731.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Rhodan;270719 wrote: Are you planning on opening the Ball Values from the RO Brute to fill up the SW Brute? If that is the case you have to be careful of the SW back washing into your RO Brute. Especially since they will "equal" out or level out. I would suggest to try to build a stand or something to check the fresh water RO Brute is higher than the SW Brute can.

Just my $0.02

Best of luck.

Nope. wasnt planning on that. I figure when I need more SW ill make new RO/DI and vice versa. Basically, one Brute is for Top off and the other is for WC's. If I ever run into an emergency where I need SW immediately, I'll just mix some in the RO/DI Brute, then clean it out well when I'm done.

Ok, so I took out the air pumps out and the Powerheads I'll be using 24/7 are two Aquaclear 75's in each Brute. (I have them lying around so why not). For mixing SW I figured I could just open the SW ball valve, close the FW valve, and then run the "Out" hose right back into the SW Brute (the pump there is a Mag7). That I think would mix it pretty quickly.

Here is the updated diagram. I also added union valves in case I ever need to separate the Trash cans.
fieldset>

Why not just put a T (facing up) on the outlet with a ball valve and run plumbing back to both tanks with ball valves on both of those tank inlets. Then you just have to turn a few valves, and you can move all your fresh water into the salt mixing tank, or if you just want to circulate your RO/DI water (don't know why you'd need to, but it would make the piping look symmetric, and I like symmetry), so then there's no flex tubing or anything, it's all plumbed with rigid pvc.

Also, on the "water level viewer", make marks so you know that XX level is XX gallons, I guess by filling first time with a 5 gallon bucket or something, making it easier for measuring salt.

Also, if you have the wiring skills, why not put the powerheads and pump on 3 switches on the stand or whatever you're planning to put this on. And if you're planning to go straight from the mixing tank to the display tank or sump or whatever, you should probably throw a heater in there as well so it maintains a constant temp.

Thanks aust. not a bad idea using the T and then just flippin a few valves...I may go ahead and do that. As for the switch...Im not that good at wiring.

Actually, I realized today that the porch that I am putting these on doesn't have an electrical outlet anywhere at all. I am going to have to find a thin enough extension cord to run from the inside of the apt up and still be able to close the sliding door.

The XX idea is a good one too. Considering I was just going to use a ping pong ball. lol.

btw....its really annoying that every time i open this thread my computer automatically downloads the files......is that my browser/computer or is that an ARC thing????

Looking great Jorge....

One thing I see is make sure you add ball valves before the unions you added on the bottom plumbing. Without those you can't seperate the brutes when they are full.

I would also T the output from the pump back into both the brutes like Bud did. For an old fart he comes up with some pretty good ideas!

Back