water storage

krb

Market
Reaction score
I just hooked up a RO/DI filter and am wondering what is the best way to store the water? I use the filter for regular water changes on a 20 gallon reef and a 65 gallon planted freshwater. I probably go through about 8 - 10 gallons a week.

I use two 55 gallon Brute Trash cans with lids. You can buy these trash cans in many different sizes so obviously you do not need a 55 gallon. Make sure to wash it out well before you use it though.

Alot of folks use rubbermaid containers from Wal-mart and such. I am using 3 right now: 1 - 39g or 40g for RO/DI water from filter, 1 - 35g for my salt mixing and 1 - 18g for my Auto Top-off container.

Very cheap and works well. I would also recommend getting a powerhead to move the water around and keep it from getting stagnant.

If the water is going right into the tank for top-off or something, then I would recommend a heater too to keep the temps the same.

Maveri9720 wrote: Alot of folks use rubbermaid containers from Wal-mart and such. I am using 3 right now: 1 - 39g or 40g for RO/DI water from filter, 1 - 35g for my salt mixing and 1 - 18g for my Auto Top-off container.

Very cheap and works well. I would also recommend getting a powerhead to move the water around and keep it from getting stagnant.

If the water is going right into the tank for top-off or something, then I would recommend a heater too to keep the temps the same.

Are the rubbermaid containers rated "food safe" by the FDA. I would be concerned that the fresh water would try and pull ions from the plastic. Bear in mind, I am NOT a chemist.

Maroons15 wrote: I use two 55 gallon Brute Trash cans with lids. You can buy these trash cans in many different sizes so obviously you do not need a 55 gallon. Make sure to wash it out well before you use it though.

where can you get brute trashcans? I know they are "food safe"

Go to Home Depot. I would also get the lids because it helps not get dust and other things like dog hair. Which always seems to find its way in all my tanks.

KRB wrote: I I use the filter for regular water changes on a 20 gallon reef and a 65 gallon planted freshwater.

Just going to say it for my own sake... Are you adding minerals back to the water for your freshwater tank?

I am so glad you asked as I have my first 5 gallons of change water bubbling right now and that hadn't even crossed my mind. Looks like i will have to stop by the LFS tomorrow on the way home. Thanks Tony

It would only take a couple water changes until the fish started to die... I used to use http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4128&Ntt=ro%20right&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1">R/O Right</a> for my planted tank (now I use tap again as it was getting ridiculous running 5tanks all on RO water).
Works great and you can control hardness and influence pH based on how much you use per gallon. I used the liquid stuff just because its easier to mix.

Good luck!
[IMG]http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4128&Ntt=ro%20right&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4128&Ntt=ro%20right&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1</a>

The rubbermaids are safe. Double what Maroons15 said about the lids. All three of my containers have lids. The Wal-Mart near me didn't carry rubbermaid, but it was another brand that I think started with an "s". I researched after I bought them and found out that they are totally safe.

It all depends on how much space you have available to you. I was on very strict dimensions for my containers, so Wal-Mart was my last resort after going to H.D. and them not having what I needed. Wal-mart had a good assortment and I found the ones I needed.

Good Luck.

tsciarini wrote: Just going to say it for my own sake... Are you adding minerals back to the water for your freshwater tank?

Good question, most people do not think about this. I take the "waste" water from my RO/DI unit and use that for my Freshwater. It still has all the minerals in it. I did not think about that till about a month after I got my RO/DI unit and I started to have problems. I also did not think to adjust the PH of RO water before putting it in the tanks.

tsciarini wrote: It would only take a couple water changes until the fish started to die... I used to use http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4128&Ntt=ro%20right&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1">R/O Right</a> for my planted tank (now I use tap again as it was getting ridiculous running 5tanks all on RO water).
Works great and you can control hardness and influence pH based on how much you use per gallon. I used the liquid stuff just because its easier to mix.[/QUOTE]I have been reading threads from a lot of experienced reef keepers they stopped using RO/DI water. Any problems running it?

I believe we're talking about FW here... as far as my understanding he's using RO/DI for both his SW and FW tanks.
I only use tap on my FW planted tank and have considered going back to RO/DI now that Im down to 2 tanks (almost). The health of the system went down after the switch back to tap.

tsciarini wrote: I believe we're talking about FW here... as far as my understanding he's using RO/DI for both his SW and FW tanks.
I only use tap on my FW planted tank and have considered going back to RO/DI now that Im down to 2 tanks (almost). The health of the system went down after the switch back to tap.
Wasn't sure when you said tap and five tanks. I kept hearing people use tap in salt, but wanted to hear from someone first hand. OK... thread hijack over.

I use tap on my discus planted tank and theyre loving it. City of Atlanta water too. I also did use the 44 gal brute rubbermaid cans and they also have a smaller ~32 gallon or so.

Also note that my tap water only has a TDS of about 20-22 which is pretty decent as far as tap water is concerned....
(I think I single handedly hijacked this thread and turned it into a FW RO/DI Vs Tap conversation)

So how about those storage containers?

I use
product.asp

Back