Water temperature question.

Dmitri

Market
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out this problem:

I want to know if adding 1000gallon water tank to my system would be good idea or not. First problem to solve is temperature control. 1000 gallon tank is store in the garage where temperature would range from hottest days of summer 90 degrees F to coldest winter days 32 degrees F

Fish tank is located in the basement where water temperature stays between 77-78 F year around. I do not use heaters at all and temperature in the basement stays 73 degrees year around.

Question, if I add this 1000gallon tank to the system, how would it affect my water temperature during the hottest days of the year and during coldest days.

The idea behind it is that it would make my water changes super easy. Drain the tank, mix more water. Reconnect to the main system.

Thank you in advanced for any input!

Try smaller water changes and have a holding bin in basement to move the water to prior to tank switch. Or alternatively use a liquid tube heating cooling system similar to reefgrrl and other reefers have used- a closed loop pex system.

Temperature stability in your tank is just as important as the Calc/Alk/Mag stability as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't risk it. I attempt to make sure my water temperature in my new water mixing can is super close to my tank temperature before I add water to my tank.

I'm pretty sure you've got fish/coral - it's not worth the stress on them to have a wild temp swing when you do WC in my opinion.

Back