water test results

mvm

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><p style="text-align:left;">Ammonia (NH3-4) ........................................ 0.006
Nitrite (NO2)........Good ......................................... 0.003
Nitrate (NO3)..................Good .............................................0.5
Phosphate (PO4) .......Good ........................................... 0.01
Silica (SiO2-3) ....... High..............................................0.6
Potassium (K) ......Low............................................. 345
Calcium (Ca).......Good ............................................ 367
Boron (B) .................Low..............................................1.9
Molybdenum (Mo......... High..............................................0.4
Strontium (Sr) ...........Good ........................................... 10.1
Magnesium (Mg) ...........Low........................................... 1063
Iodine (I¯)...............Low............................................ 0.02
Copper (Cu++) ................Good ........................................... 0.01
Alkalinity (meq/L).............Good ........................................... 2.97

I know how to get the iodine and mag up, but what additive could I use to get potassium up. Also, the silica baffles me. TDS meter says zero on RODI. Does silica show up up on a tds meter? What about raising boron? I use tropic marin pro reef salt. Any chemistry gurus out there to advice me?
</span></span>

I don't think I'd worry about your potassium or boron. I would have your RO/DI water tested for silicates. If it reads high, I think there is a specific type of membrane you can purchase for high silicates. Or you could add a large sponge to your tank.

The only way of raising potassium that I know of is an addative from Zeovit. They also produce a test kit for it. It does not require you to run the full Zeovit method, you can use it as an addative only, but regular testing is suggested. Otherwise, it is added with a standard water change. I am considering the purchase of it now, as it is supposed to help blue corals hold their colors better.

HTH

hey flin...check this out...
http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/feature.htm">http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/feature.htm</a>

its all about silica...its a little lenghty BUT very thourough

flinster;181133 wrote: <span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">
</span></span><p style="text-align:left;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Potassium (K) ......Low............................................. 345</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">...</span></span>
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">but what additive could I use to get potassium up. </span></span>

bananas

ok, first off, they are not as accurate as a "true Lab". They are best used as a Tool. Some of their methods are questionable. As far as potassium & Silica, I wouldn't worry. I did decide to switch from TMPR (after 2 years) to Seachem reef from a lot of recent testing & some complaints about excess cyno & algae from TMRP. The mag, Calcium, & Alk had much better results with the much cheaper Seachem (since they fixed their Borate issue).

I would raise my mag, calcium & maybe alk though. Here's my last test:

IF you wanted to attempt to raise your potassium, I would use

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/FlourishPotassium.html">http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/FlourishPotassium.html</a>

As it says in the instructions- 5ml/125g raises K by 2mg/l. The NSW level of K is ~380ppm.

Adding Seachem Marine Buffer of Kent Super Buffer dKH will raise your boron. Both contain Borate as a buffer. I don't have the specific ratios on those so I can't recommend a dosing regimine. Those two products will also raise your kH.

The NSW of Boron is ~4.4ppm.

I had low potassium issues and several of my SPS suffered from it. Some salt mixes have higher potassium than others. Water changes alone with these particular salt mixes will fix the potassium issue.

Back