Waterproofing MDF

ichthyoid

Trustee
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
So,

The good: I bought a couple of MDF stands on sale.

The bad: they are notorious for swelling after getting wet
(how can you possibly expect them not to get wet, around/under aquariums?)

What to do?

I’m trying out wood hardener, to see if sealing the exposed MDF will prevent or slow down the swelling? Only time will tell...0C6F6319-A3F7-4CD3-9E7D-FD5D23AB15B2.jpeg4E8A3966-55A9-440F-9DAA-CD2FD87F8057.jpegEAE72DEF-A5E7-4680-9DBE-BE8E5816A444.jpeg

You will need cheap/disposable brushes of appropriate sizes and a pan/tuna can, etc.

Paint all exposed MDF, including the pockets where pins and cam locks will go.

I figure if I mess up the finish on the outside/exposed surfaces, I can just spray paint over it later.

No way to effectively mask this stuff. It has the consistency of water. Also, make sure you do this outside, and stand up wind. Strong odors of acetone, which is not good to breath in.

Below is the stand I bought, which is made from MDF (medium density fiberboard).

MDF is made from wood fibers, like cardboard, which has been compressed under high pressure (ie-thousands of psi).

While MDF is dimensionally stable & inexpensive to use, it does not do well if it gets wet. Just like cardboard.

So, I thought that by making the exposed edges waterproof, I might help the product last and perform better.

Back