Wave makers

dough

Supporting
Reaction score
So I'm resetting up my old 58 gallon after running a 34 gallon AIO for 4 years.  I'm stuck on what to do about water movement in the tank.  I've spent a lot of money on pumps over the years and just was wondering what everyone is running these days and how they like them.

I recently switched to gyres, maxspect. So impressed with these that I don’t think I’ll ever go back to a propeller pump.  Also like the way an ice cap battery backup interfaces with them.

I've been using the Jeboa pumps for returns and powerheads for the last 3 years. All of my powerheads are seizing all at the same time right now. One's that I've used for the last 2 years and ones that are only about 10 months old. I've got to take them out and clean them every few days. Last night, 3 out of 4 powerheads were siezed and I can't even get the ceramic sleeves off of the impeller shaft. They're soaking... I might be done with jebao.

I use a Maxspec Gyre which is amazing for $250 each.  I also have the Jaebo Crossflow ($60) which is noisy.  I have a few Jaebo RW 15s ($75) as well and they have held up well and are inexpensive.  The alternatives big name brands are far more expensive (Vortech or Ecotech).  But, they will last much longer. Imho I would rather buy 5 or so Jaebos for every 1 new Mp 40 for $349.

well, I've used Tunze, Jebao, EcoTech, Maxpec and even plain old MJ1200s in the beginning. I currently use the Jebao pumps, but I have to say the EchoTech is the king, at least in my opinion. Plus a few years ago they came out with the quieter pumps which really seals the deal. I'll move back to EchoTech as funds permit:)

THAT said. The Jebao pumps do swivel much like the Tunze pumps do, and will wirelessly link to one another, although i don't think they will do an "anti sync mode which is silly". So the ability to point it where you want is a plus.

I’m currently using an MP10es and MP40es. I prefer them both over Jebao which I’ve had 4 of them crap out on me. I’d rather spend money on a quality product I know will last than worry about something failing in my tank.

Ive never tried Tunze powerheads but I’ve heard they’re compairable to Vortechs. I’d also like to try the Apex pumps one day.

Back