We want your Aptasia!

kbuck

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Kevin at Heisenberg Aquaculture here. We are developing a Berghia system and we need as much Aptasia as we can get our hands to start that part of the system. We would be happy to trade you a big jar of Copepods and or Phyto for your Aptasia. Here's the terms, ideally we are looking for aptasia on your glass i.e. sump or back of all in one or substrate. If they are on a live rock it would have to be one that you are willing to part with. I would come to harvest them myself so it would need to be at least a dozen or so. I use a scraper and turkey baster to suck them up. Let me know if you interested.

@ricky5415 lol

Make sure you've got lots of aiptasia before you get any nudi's. I mean lots! You're going to be more of an aiptasia breeder than a Berghia breeder, lol.
Also make sure the aiptasia tank(s) are far enough away from the nudi tanks so there can be no splashing to cross contaminate the aiptasia tank(s). Don't ask me how I know this :eek: :(

See them all? :D

If you are OK making the drive to Acworth - I have a 120 gallon tank that is basically nothing more than a holding tank right now - you are more than welcome to as much as you can snag.

There are some LARGE ones - 1.5" in diameter - on the sand bed and many on live rocks.

You are welcome to harvest as much as you want for free. These have zero value to me and I'm a week or 2 away from moving what I care about (fish, couple corals, BTA etc) to another system.

I do have Berghia in this tank (been there for about 7 weeks - starting to make a dent in a small section of the tank).

DM me here if you are interested - we work from home so can be around most days as long as we pre-arrange a day/time.

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 10.37.57 AM.png

@ricky5415 lol

Make sure you've got lots of aiptasia before you get any nudi's. I mean lots! You're going to be more of an aiptasia breeder than a Berghia breeder, lol.
Also make sure the aiptasia tank(s) are far enough away from the nudi tanks so there can be no splashing to cross contaminate the aiptasia tank(s). Don't ask me how I know this :eek: :(
Thanks for the tips. I thought the same thing about the aptasia farming that is why I think I have spent the most time building that system and we not populated the berghia yet at all. As for the contamination aspect we have set thing up in the we think is the best we can do with space we have. The idea being worst case scenario water from the aptasia could drip down into the nudis but not the other way around.

It sounds like you speak from experience.

Thanks for the tips. I thought the same thing about the aptasia farming that is why I think I have spent the most time building that system and we not populated the berghia yet at all. As for the contamination aspect we have set thing up in the we think is the best we can do with space we have. The idea being worst case scenario water from the aptasia could drip down into the nudis but not the other way around.

It sounds like you speak from experience.
Yes, I started it up in the spring of 2018. I vastly underestimated the aiptasia demand and shut it down in preparation for moving. They somehow got into the aiptasia tank and it took several weeks to notice it. By then there was no hope of sustaining the aiptasia. I don't know how many nudi's you plan on breeding but start slow and learn the demand. Whatever you think you'll need aiptasia wise, double or triple it.

In my display I had a bad case, probably several thousand aiptasia in a 210. I added 26 nudi's. For the 1st 2 months I didn't see much of a dent in the population. Then inside of a month from the point I started seeing cleared patches on the rocks they were virtually gone. I have no idea how many that 26 nudi's turned into though. After 6 more months I started see aiptasia popping up again.
In the breeding chamber there could be 20-30 aiptasia there for a week or more and all the sudden, none.

Back