Wear gloves when handling live rock!

rostato

Market
Reaction score
UGHH!

I had to take every piece of rock outta my tank yesterday to get some fish out, and I am miserable today. I have 6 featherdusters stuck in my fingers (all different fingers).

I have been diggin at my hands all day, and cant get them out. They are soooo uncomfortable!:yuk:

Wear gloves!

Are they from feather dusters or bristle worms. Try using tape, stick it to the area and then peel it off hopefully with any bristles. I always wear the heavy gloves if I'm handling rock and thinner latex ones if I'm doing anything else in the tank.

Try some vinegar. If it's bristles, they'll melt right out. I daresay if it's calcareous tubes from fanworms, vinegar will soften them up too.

Or it could just be rock shards from the rock itself. Having unpacked many boxes of rock over the years, I feel your pain - but I still don't wear gloves LOL!

I have found the vinegar works better than the duct tape method for bristles... the tape shoves them further into the skin before pulling them out - IF they pull them out.

Jenn

well I have alot of vermatid snails too, but they are like big splinters, so I am pretty sure they are feather dusters. They didnt hurt at all yeaterday, but this morning my fingers are all puffed up, and I can see them under my skin.

I just keep diggin through layers of skin trying to get down to them.

Well I have a bunch of equipment to clean today, and was planning on buying some vinegar anyway. Maybe cleaning everything out with vinegar will help later.

Note to self, w...e...a...r g...l...o...v...e...s. Got it.

Thanks for the tip.

Back