Webcams to monitor aquarium and sump

tony_caliente

Market
Reaction score
has anyone isntalled a wireless webcam (or webcams) to monitor their aquarium and sump area? Oviously the idea is to observe the tank and sump area from a computer and/or iPhone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I do have WiFi in the house.

PS. Probably should have one that operates in very low light.

Hey Tony!

I've been considering those foscam ip cameras for a while. With getting married and all the associated expenses... my reef budget has disappeared so cameras got put on hold.

Here's what I'm talking about:

ref=sr_1_2

Hmmm, just looked them up (thanks) I could swing the cost, but I don't think one has to spend that much. I would like sound too. Let's see what other have to say. I am most concerned about leaks and the damage they cause to hardwoods. My wife is home ful-tome and I work from home sometimes, but it seems to be a fun DIY project. Thanks I will let you know what I learn!

I have installed Logitech Alert Cameras on my tank and pond. Both my sons got them as holiday gifts and love them. They are a bit pricey though. They record to your hard drive and live images can be viewed via the internet and on your Iphone. Records sound as well.
a>

All very nice. I don't need the video recording, but a nice feature. I am going to give Logitech a call. Thanks!

do not work with the Iphone, but there secritty cams do (what you said). Just got off the phone with them. Please let me know which app they are using.
DonS;729663 wrote: I have installed Logitech Alert Cameras on my tank and pond. Both my sons got them as holiday gifts and love them. They are a bit pricey though. They record to your hard drive and live images can be viewed via the internet and on your Iphone. Records sound as well.
QUOTE]

There is an app that I have on my IPhone and it works fine. Master Units being sold at Fry's Electronics, but like I said pretty pricey.

Yeah. just returned from there. My typing stinks. As you said, Logitech's security cameras do work with the the iPhone. The Logitech technician said their webcams do not....who knows. Thank you!

I saw a working model of this somewhere, but can't remember where. They guy even let people control air bubbles (on/off) via his webpage.

I'd like to consider this project of yours as confirmation that I will never run out of projects to do relating to my reef tank. Yesterday, I had to install an ATO. Today, I had to install a reef controller. Tomorrow, I'm going to install a webcam! (Time lapse)...

It's a good thing I enjoy this hobby so much. Good luck with your project. I will follow and add this project to my never ending list of reef related things to do.

Read PM

JBDreefs;729863 wrote: I saw a working model of this somewhere, but can't remember where. They guy even let people control air bubbles (on/off) via his webpage.

I'd like to consider this project of yours as confirmation that I will never run out of projects to do relating to my reef tank. Yesterday, I had to install an ATO. Today, I had to install a reef controller. Tomorrow, I'm going to install a webcam! (Time lapse)...

It's a good thing I enjoy this hobby so much. Good luck with your project. I will follow and add this project to my never ending list of reef related things to do.

Edit: http://www.webcam123.com/en/watchdog.html">http://www.webcam123.com/en/watchdog.html</a>[QUOTE=][B]JBDreefs;729863 wrote:[/B] I saw a working model of this somewhere, but can't remember where. They guy even let people control air bubbles (on/off) via his webpage.

It's a good thing I enjoy this hobby so much. Good luck with your project. I will follow and add this project to my never ending list of reef related things to do.[/QUOTE]

I bought the Foscam pair from Amazon. I will let all know how they work out.

Thank you.

Crewdawg1981;729627 wrote: Hey Tony!

I've been considering those foscam ip cameras for a while. With getting married and all the associated expenses... my reef budget has disappeared so cameras got put on hold.

ref=sr_1_2

Hard wired is the way to go. I just don't have the hard-wiring skills. I am also a Costco memeber. I could cancel my Amazon order but don't trust my skills. Thank you!

Tony_Caliente;730526 wrote: Does anyone know how to access these webcams behind your firewall?
That's usually fairly easy. It's usually referenced as port forwarding. What I normally is give the device (IP camera in this case) a static IP or have the router reserve an IP via DHCP. Once you do that, you can port forward TCP port 80 to the camera's IP address.

I'm also curious as to how this camera works as I've been thinking about getting one myself.

BTW, when I say easy...I mean easy for me!! But it's still not that difficult.

Thank you. friend and work colleague is into thsi stuff. He will follow your instructions. Thank you!
Oil_Fan;730549 wrote: That's usually fairly easy. It's usually referenced as port forwarding. What I normally is give the device (IP camera in this case) a static IP or have the router reserve an IP via DHCP. Once you do that, you can port forward TCP port 80 to the camera's IP address.

I'm also curious as to how this camera works as I've been thinking about getting one myself.

BTW, when I say easy...I mean easy for me!! But it's still not that difficult.

Thank you for the recommendation. I installled one if two tonight and it works great. I can view what i want from wherever I want. I will be finally able to see if my golden retrievers are hosting poker games while I am at work.

I plan to connect the one that will keep an eye on my tank tomorrow.

Crewdawg1981;729627 wrote: Hey Tony!

ref=sr_1_2

I coudl have learned Latvian in the amount of time that I spent trying to hooks these up for remote accesss. I learned how to port forward, obtain a static IP address, but still not remote access -- which my sole reason for buying. Any ideas beyong what tech support from three different companies told me would be greatly apprciated. Call me at 404-824-1709.

Thank you!

Tony_Caliente;732535 wrote: Thank you for the recommendation. I installled one if two tonight and it works great. I can view what i want from wherever I want. I will be finally able to see if my golden retrievers are hosting poker games while I am at work.

I plan to connect the one that will keep an eye on my tank tomorrow.

Tony, there is a very good tutorial on how to hook up an Apex to be viewed over the internet and it covers some of the common problems that I'm sure apply to what you are trying to do. Some issues that it addresses that you may be having are: If you use the default Port 80, even though you set it up for Port Forwarding some Internet suppliers block that port, your modem needs to have a static IP and you typically can only get that by using another service that you can sign up for free. Those are two of the issues I remember seeing. You can find the tutorial out on Reef Central in the Apex forum.

Thank you my friend. Beleive it or not, I just got it to work 30 minutes ago. What an ordeal, but learned a lot....remember the plug and play concept..it's more like plug and pray!

Back