Weird Nitrogen Cycle: Advice?

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
This tank is giving me fits!! I'll save the long story.

The short story is that I had to pull my fish out of the DT and put them into a hospital tank to treat Ich. This was about 2 months ago. During the fallow period, I target fed my anemones a few times and I dosed some of the filter feeder food every few days to attempt to maintain my beneficial bacteria.

I have a 60 gallon DT stocked with a pair of clowns, a black cap basslet, and mixed inverts (not that many, but everything from soft to lps to sps). Shortly after transferring my fish back to the DT, I started to see signs of ammonia. From the get go, I feared a cycle once the fish returned to the tank.

I attributed the ammonia spike to introducing the fish back into the DT and I picked up some Stability. It does not appear to make a difference. I dosed it accordingly for about a week before I quit and went more into preservation mode.

I have since began doing water changes about every other day. I changed my carbon over the weekend and I have added zeolite to my media reactor to help with the ammonia.

I can't seem to get ahead of the ammonia. My water changes have been 10 gallons at a time.

I have pulled anything that appeared to be on the verge of death out of the tank (to include snails and coral). I don't see anything else that is dead. I have attempted to clean my overflow for fear that food may be collecting there. However, I can't exactly see in it.

I re-ran my plumbing to give the water more of a vertical fall for fear that rotting material was somehow collecting in the horizontal runs.

I'm just not sure what I can do at this point but wait and pray. Nothing I do seems to be helping and I'm scared of trying to do too much and really screw things up.

Would you advise that I setup some sort of QT tank for the corals, anemones and/or fish? My QT setup has been exposed to cupramine, so I don't think putting the inverts in it would be the best idea. I recently took it down because I wasn't planning to add additional fish for a while. Maybe use a bucket of some sort?

Your advice is welcome. I have been testing ammonia with seachem and API. I'm at 1.0 ppm or so (does anyone else hate reading color charts!)

I have been testing for Nitrites also and I'm not detecting any which I find weird after two weeks also...

Figured someone would ask:

PH - 8.0
Ammonia - been reading about somewhere between .5 and 1.0 ppm; ran a test of the sample side by side with actual test water via seachem. Ammonia appears to be less than 1.0 ppm.
Nitrite - .1
Nitrate - 10ish + or -
Calcium - 480
Alk - 6.5
Phos - .07ish
Salinity - 1.025
temp - 78

If you need any other parameters, just ask.

Inverts are definitely not happy, but I still see some polyp extension on the sps.

Age of tank: tank was originally a 33 long started in September of 2013. Around the end of January, my tank sprung a leak and I was forced to house my pets in a 30 gallon tote from Home depot for a week or two. About the first week of February is when I upgraded to the 60 gallon. I used the same sand/rock and added about 30 pounds or dry base rock. About the middle of February is when I moved my fish to QT. Pulled them out towards the end of March. Been battling this ammonia since shortly thereafter.

What filtration equipment are you using on the DT? Sump, skimmer, reactors, carbon dosing? Have you tried a large water change?

Sump operates with about 15 gallons of water, no fuge, matrix chamber with matrix and filter pads to absorb nitrates/phosphates (wondering if the pads work). Mag 5 return pump. I am running a coralife skimmer and a TLF reactor with seachem sea gel (I think that is the name). The product has both carbon and phosguard. I recently added zeolite on top of the carbon/phosguard.

I chage the filter pads about weekly and the reactor media twice a month or so.

Haven't done a large water change. However, I would say that I have changed 50% in the last week or so.

franciscosalazar;948380 wrote: I don't know if that's an acceptable level...

I agree that 6.5 is a little low, but I doubt it is the root of my problem. Natural seawater is 7.0 I believe.

I try my best to not chase numbers. I have been happy with a stable level around 7.

JBDreefs;948386 wrote: I agree that 6.5 is a little low, but I doubt it is the root of my problem. Natural seawater is 7.0 I believe.

I try my best to not chase numbers. I have been happy with a stable level around 7.

Seawater is closer to 8.

However, your problem with the pH is (more than likely) directly related to the issue with the tank cycling. Before a tank is "cycled" it has way more carbon dioxide, a byproduct of organics breaking down and also the nitrogen cycle produces acids lowering the pH

If I were you I would take out the livestock and let the tank cycle. If you just keep diluting the ammonia you'll never grow enough bacteria to support a full bioload.

So, after another ammonia test and more of the same failure feeling, I went ahead and did another 10 gallon water change. During the water change, I could hear my WP25 winding. I had thought that the strength of the wave maker was diminishing recently but was more concerned about the ammonia problem and just ignored it.

After hearing the noticeable winding sound, I figured that I might as well clean it while I was doing tank maintenance anyways. The grates around the back and in the cylinder had a noticeable 'sludge' that didn't quite look like algae.

Being that this piece of equipment is the only piece I had not cleaned and/or inspected for decaying matter, I'm now wondering if it could be the cause of my ammonia spike. More often then not, I would not turn the wave maker off when feeding. I guess maybe there is a 'feed' button for a reason.

I guess a few days will tell if this was the cause. Until then, I still look forward to any other ideas you may have. I tested my water change water for ammonia tonight thinking that maybe it could be the source, but no, it's fine.

If you haven't already, you should hit it with some Prime.

Did you use the Stability following new tank directions? If not, I'd give that a go too.

It's unusual for a spike to happen given the process you described, unless you have a LOT of fish and feed VERY heavily.

Do you vacuum your substrate?

Jenn

I do vacuum the sand and I do not have a lot of fish: pair of clowns and a basslet.

I have not used prime. Guess I should.

Since my last post the ammonia levels are dropping although still present. According to API (which I use most frequently for ease of use), I am down to about .5 ppm from 1.0.

I will be doing another water change today and I will pick up some Prime.

It is strange to be having a cycle like this. I hope that I am near the end.

If your API test is old it will give you a false positive for ammonia.

I thought you were using Seachem (you mentioned using the reference solution).

API for nitrite too?

Is there an expiration date on the reagents?

I do use seachem also but not each time. Api gives me good idea of where things are and it is quicker.

I do a mix of both api and seachem nitrite/nitrate tests. Results are comparable.

Back