Weird question

hhughes

Market
Reaction score
Anyone know what the mesh on the back of floor/wall tile is made of? Anything harmful for an aquarium?

I'm playing with an idea for using ceramic tile in a small freshwater tank, and it would be a lot easier if I could leave the mesh in place. I know that at best it would slowly rot, but if there's nothing actually harmful in it, it should be okay, right?

When we tiled our bathroom we used tiles with mesh. I wanted to change the design so i soaked the mesh off. The mesh might not be the only harmful thing, I would worry what the glue is made of. Holley

I have bought slate from home depot that had the mesh and glue on it. i removed the mesh and most of the glue. What little glue remained didnt seem to effect anything in the tank. It was freshwater/planted

it should be a pvc mesh.. (but obviously there are probably many different materials used since there are LOTS of different tile manufacturers)

I'm not sure if I'd use tile as it's essentially a brick with a colorful glaze on top of it..

unless you're also cool with using a brick..

Of course IF it's 'Hecho en China', like most things these days, they might say it's not, but..............

Caveat emptor

Every so often I get inspired to do something unexpected to a small tank. I was thinking of basically tiling one.

Back