Weird Slime in Brute Container?

texhorns98

Market
Reaction score
I always keep 25-30 gallons of ready made salt water in a 32 gallon Brute container in the garage. This last water change, I noticed a thin layer of reddish brown film on the sides of the container. Anyone know what it could be? The container never gets any light, and stays in the garage where temps have (until recently) been really cold. Even on Sunday, the water change water was around 66 degrees. Thanks in advance for any help or opinions you can offer!

algae. Wash it out with bleach and water every once in a while.

Silly question but what is the algae feeding on? Would it be advisable to run a UV on your top off and w/c contianer? I have never wanted to run one on my tank becuase of the possibility of killing plankton and benificial nutrients.

Only had this happen when I took an old powerhead directly out of the tank and put it in the brute to replace my old pump to mix salt. I use a lid, so no light, but this stuff grew out in a few days in the dark. Cleaned the brute and ran the koralia in vinegar. Never saw it again

There is a brown residue that builds up over time in my saltmixing container. I always thought it was from the calcium or other mineral in the mix. Sunday I took mine apart, filled it with water and a couple gallons of vinegar and let it soak overnight. Yesterday it cleaned right off with a brush.

Smoothie;322476 wrote: Only had this happen when I took an old powerhead directly out of the tank and put it in the brute to replace my old pump to mix salt. I use a lid, so no light, but this stuff grew out in a few days in the dark. Cleaned the brute and ran the koralia in vinegar. Never saw it again

That could explain why I get it too! I never really worried about it but I do clean the containers every month. Next time I swap out the mixing container I'll try to remember not to put anything that was used in there for mixing.
Thanks!

Sounds like this is fairly common then. I have 30 gallons in there now, so it will be another two weeks until it's empty enough to clean out. I wonder if it will happen in my topoff reservoir as well? Or is it only in salt water mixing containers?

I have only had a problem in the salt water container (Brute 40G) the RO container (Brute 65G) does not get the same build up.

Happens to ours too. We dropped in a koralia from one of the tanks, so I'm sure that's where some food source came from. No problems in holding tank as of yet.

Skriz;322458 wrote: algae. Wash it out with bleach and water every once in a while.

If you clean the container with bleach do you just rinse with ro water and go? Do you have to rinse out like 5 times to really be sure that all the bleach is gone?

atlfishes;322678 wrote: If you clean the container with bleach do you just rinse with ro water and go? Do you have to rinse out like 5 times to really be sure that all the bleach is gone?

I haven't cleaned mine yet, but I will very soon. I would rinse it with a hose very, very well. Then air dry before putting anything in there. Or use, vinegar.

Yeah, if you use bleach just rinse well and let it air dry. I think bleach breaks down into salt once it dries, and is harmless. I do that with my filter socks as well with no issues.

atlfishes;322678 wrote: If you clean the container with bleach do you just rinse with ro water and go? Do you have to rinse out like 5 times to really be sure that all the bleach is gone?

I just rinse with tap water and let air dry. Once dry, bleach breaks down into 2 part: water and salt. The water will evaporate and only the salt will remain. You can then rinse this off and let dry and you're good to go.

I'm pretty slack, so I don't even bother to wait until it's completely dry. A tiny amount of residue won't really hurt anything. :D

Ya it doesn't really hurt anything either. Every once in a while a get a bacteria bloom with a white coating on the sides also. They're all harmless. Just wash the container out and use some bleach or vinegar and let dry, then wash out and you'll be good at least for a bit.

Back