Weld on?!

cwugigi

Market
Reaction score
I am in the process of building a (acrylic) sump, and ran out of epoxy! :shout: Does anyone know where I can get more in the Atlanta area? I hear weld on # 3 is what I'm looking for, right? Thanks for the help!

There's a button in the top right corner, inconspiciously labeled "Search". Clicking that button and typing in "weldon" will return a number of posts on this very topic.

Sorry to be a smarty pants about this one, but it seems we see this question almost weekly nowadays...

I'm not sure. The kit came with a 3 or 4 oz bottle of a liquid thin adhesive, and it's gone. Should I reapply the weldon to the joints that are already bonded?

dawgdude;201975 wrote: Have you ever worked with acrylic before? I wouldnt start with a sump since if you screw up and it fails, you have a big flood. You need to be using a product that will bond one piece of acrylic to the other. If you already have epoxy in the groves then its not going to bond the acrylic together correctly. I would do some googling on working with acrylic since the info I have on the product you were using is limited.

I would think/hope that if he bought a "kit" that it would come with the correct adhesive to use.

I purchased a kit a few years ago for a refugium that came with the acrylic precut to size and a bottle of water thin adhesive which I assume was weldon 3 or 4. Anyway, refugium still in use and never a leak except (over the top once :) ). I think that may be similar to the kit mentioned here. Nothing to mix just a bottle and you install a needle to use if I remember correctly. This was my first experience with working with acrylic and it went without a hitch. Seems I got the kit from a guy off of Ebay.

That sounds exactly like this setup. It came in a glass vial and I was to pour it into a small plastic bottle and attach a needle to the end and go to town... It's just that I had to reapply in some areas due to leaks when I tested it, so I'm running low on the good stuff. And it also came from a guy from ebay in precut sections. But what I'm reading from the other threads are that weld on 16 is more forgiving for newbies? I kinda like the idea of a very thin liquid since it has to get into all of the cracks to form the capillary action to bond with the other acrylic.

Cwugigi;202170 wrote: That sounds exactly like this setup. It came in a glass vial and I was to pour it into a small plastic bottle and attach a needle to the end and go to town... It's just that I had to reapply in some areas due to leaks when I tested it, so I'm running low on the good stuff. And it also came from a guy from ebay in precut sections. But what I'm reading from the other threads are that weld on 16 is more forgiving for newbies? I kinda like the idea of a very thin liquid since it has to get into all of the cracks to form the capillary action to bond with the other acrylic.

I would say we both got the kit from the same guy from somewhere in PA. Yes Weldon 16 is a little easier for newbies as it thicker but if you haven't had problems with getting the thinner adhesive all over the place then I would finish with what I started with. The thicker stuff would be preferred if there is a gap that the thinner stuff just won't fill in. I prefer the thinner stuff though. I have some of the thin and the 16 as well here, but I am way up close to the TN and NC lines. I had gotten some of both for a project that I'm working on.

Back