Well it finally happened

york1

Supporting
Reaction score
I have always been an advocate for heater controllers. All of my tanks have them except one. My biocube had a cobalt neo-therm heater which is suppose to be bullet proof. I have been meaning to get another controller for it. Well today I came home to a 95 degree biocube. Lost my rainbow acan frag and that hurt. Also lost my cb bowzer frag along with nirvana zoas and a few others. I kept all of my higher end frags in there because it was the oldest most stable tank. Its crappy because its my own damn fault

I have always been an advocate for heater controllers. All of my tanks have them except one. My biocube had a cobalt neo-therm heater which is suppose to be bullet proof. I have been meaning to get another controller for it. Well today I came home to a 95 degree biocube. Lost my rainbow acan frag and that hurt. Also lost my cb bowzer frag along with nirvana zoas and a few others. I kept all of my higher end frags in there because it was the oldest most stable tank. Its crappy because its my own damn fault
Sorry to hear that. I've been meaning to buy a controller as well. But right now I don't even have a heater in the tank bc I keep my house at 78°. But I'm definitely going to invest in one.

Man that sucks, so sorry to hear that. I've anak had a neotherm heater crap out in me, there were smoke bubbles coming out of my over flow where it was located, i kept my something and the search was on, i was also surprised that the heater died like it did.

I know you got some candy apple red from me, were they in there too?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Man that sucks, so sorry to hear that. I've anak had a neotherm heater crap out in me, there were smoke bubbles coming out of my over flow where it was located, i kept my something and the search was on, i was also surprised that the heater died like it did.

I know you got some candy apple red from me, were they in there too?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yup among other frags. I just feel like a dumbass. I will recover but hopefully others will read this and be more careful than me

I read a lot of reviews on the Neo-Therm having issues before I set up my new tank. I’m sure the vast majority use them without issue but it was enough to scare me away. Hate to hear it happened.

The only brand heater that has never failed me in 30+ years is Eheim/Ebo-Jager, and I still don’t trust them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't trust any heaters. I have always used ehiem heater till I lost 3 in a row a year or so ago. Heater controller is a must. I ordered a couple ranco controllers today. I should have them wired up early next week

I don't understand why aquarium heaters go bad so often. We have thermostats in all sorts of things (home, car, business signs, etc) and haven't heard of those going faulty. Perhaps a good heater is counterproductive to sales in the industry.

For everyone that is a fan of InkBird temperature controllers as a cheap option, they are coming out with one in a few weeks that will kick on and off at less than 1 degree difference (according to BRS); I think 0.2 degrees.

Man, sorry to hear that, hopefully your tank will recovery soon and get some of those corals back.
Most of the heaters I’ve used are Eheim/Jager, and Titanium ones with controllers and actually gave a try to a Cobalt Neotherm in the Nuvo 20, while it’s been strong for a season and a half I’m not sure what will be next (knock on wood) and actually I don’t have a monitor in there, I might going to order one. Being said that seems like in this industry nothing is 100% fail safe, had pumps fail on me, chiller fail on me, a Ranco Controller, gaskets, and luckily (knock on wood again lol) never had an ATO fail on me, but have heard horror histories of anything already.
I’ve learned that in order to succeed we should always try to have backups, pumps, heaters, powerheads, plumbing supplies, battery powered pumps, battery backups, ATO’s, even lights, smaller tanks (ha! Is the reason some of us have a hardware store in our basement or garage :D just for the hobby) and more important, and I’ve learned this from Adam, be redundant on monitors, sensors, float valves, mechanical or electrical, this help us relieve or try to mitigate some of the issues it could arise.

I had a heater go out on me over this past winter. It was a Wan Brothers titanium with controller. I got lucky and only lost a birds nest, it was the size of a softball though. I now use a Cobalt heater and I'm gonna replace it every year. Cheap insurance...............................

So sorry to hear about this happening to you! I had a Cobalt Neo Therm almost fry my tank several months ago. I lost several corals because of it...I have never had a heater get stuck on, in all the years I have been keeping tanks (both fresh and salt in over 15 years!) I felt pretty confident in Cobalt heaters as well. Again, so sorry...

That sucks. Aquarium heaters seem to have ridiculously low quality control. Seems like a controller is a must, even when buying the "good" brands

Back