Well, my dwarf golden moray is finally eating...

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
Sort of. Watched him attempt to yank small hermit crabs out of their shells.

I guess I have a rogue eel.

So now what? Should I try mussels? Little-neck clams?

He's interested in nothing from a feeding stick. I've tried shrimp, krill, octopus, squid & PE mysis. I'm wondering if I should attach an empty hermit crab shell to the end of a feeding stick, fill it with food and spoon-feed him.

:(

Linda, I'm suprised he's not eating yet. Is he in the 90 right now? I don't use the feeding stick very often for mine. Usually, I cut all the pumps off and dump a bunch of food around his little cave. He's trained to pop out as soon as the pumps go off and start scavenging for left over bits of food on the bottom that the fish don't get. Maybe the feeding stick is scaring him? Are you turning off your pumps at all?

Get some live grass shrimp from LA. hey might work. Get in touch with Lee before the deadline!!

They don't normally eat hermit crabs. They don't have the rounded back teeth for crushing up crustaceans. They don't have the sharp front teeth of a fish eating moray either. They almost appear to be toothless. I'm of the opinion that they probably hunt squid or other similar soft bodied creatures in the wild. Its just conjecture though as there is very little that is known about these beautiful creatures.

I do think yours is very hungry though as its been nearly a month since its last eaten :sad:. You may need to take it out of the critter keeper and put it in one of your tanks. Perhaps it needs to feel more secure with rocks and sand about it before it will eat. Some creatures can be finicky about their surroundings and won't eat unless they feel secure. Of course this is just more conjecture.

If he only eats hermits, so be it. Throw a bunch in there and keep that beautiful animal alive :).

G'luck Linda!

Back