Well, my tank is ready for coral..

crobattt

Market
Reaction score
Well, my tank is ready for coral now, and i don't know where to start! i've had coral before, so i know how to keep most of the easier stuff such as palys, zoas, shrooms.. anyways i was wondering what you guys think i should do! i have a 8x54 watt T5HO lighting system. Right now all i have in my tank is a zoa colony and they are growing very well. My tank has been running for 8 months now, so it's pretty well established. I'm thinking i might want to try some acros, or something of that nature, i just picked up a small montipora today, so i'm putting that in my tank as i speak.

Anyways would you guys make some suggestions to me? I would also love picture if you have them :p

I would do a starter acro something that is more forgiving on the wallet I'd it dies and test it to see how it does that way if it rtn you want add insult to injury

Maybe try a blue milli or a green slimmer. They come up for sale on here all the time for a reasonable price and you will be able to compare yours to pictures of others to make sure it is doing well in your system.

Edit:
SuperClown;726901 wrote: Birdsnest is one I started with

Also a good one. I am just not a fan of birdsnests.

LiveRock27;726905 wrote: Maybe try a blue milli or a green slimmer. They come up for sale on here all the time for a reasonable price and you will be able to compare yours to pictures of others to make sure it is doing well in your system.

Edit:

Also a good one. I am just not a fan of birdsnests.

Agree that birdsnest can be a little "meh" but actually the pink one under the right lighting is really nice

If I measure my success on SPS on any bidsnest I shouldn't be able to keep any...

I would say get the pink birdsnest, i hear there more forgiving. I have LPS and Softies, birds nest will be my next purchase.

ok awesome!

My LFS doesn't really have much sps corals, so i'll probably be keeping an eye out on the forums :p

anybody in this thread have any they wouldn't mind selling for a good price lol?

I was told that the Green Birdsnest was a good starter sps, is this not the case?

I have started with a monti, green slimer, and stylo. The green slimer is the only one mentioned above, so I'm not sure if they are wise choices, but so far so good (under LEDs).

i have a 4" acro that im trying to get rid of for 20. it is rather large for my tank and i want something else in its spot. if it lives its a large piece that you might be able to frag and get all your money back fast.

Back