What’s more important more flow or doser

Meech

Supporting
Reaction score
Getting a doser or getting another powerhead (only have a return pump). I have about 25 corals but just started getting sps (3 acros and 3 monti) currently I have a nano 15 gallon. The other corals are mostly LPS. What should I get first as an upgrade flow or doser?

flow - in a 15 gallon you should be able to manage all aspects of water quality through simple water changes.
I drop around .4 dkh a day (haven’t measured calcium yet) I’m worried the water change swing I do every week is the reason my last acros died.

Flow does a lot of things. In simple terms, flow helps with gas exchange, cleans the corals, and bring food to the corals. That can not be done manually. Doser on the other hand just replenishes used elements. That can be done manually. With that said, with your nano tank, you really don't need a super powerful powerhead, you can get something like the jaebo or any small cheaper powerheads and it'll work just fine. (I use the smallest jaebo I got for about $20 from Amazon on my 18gal nano fuge, although no sps in it, I still get a ton of flow and have to tone it down a notch). Doser on the other hand, I'll advise to get one with good quality. With that explained, flow is definitely more important than a doser in my opinion cos it can't be replicated manually. Also for your specific tank, price wise, you could get away with a cheaper powerhead.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

How old is the tank? Like @lmm1967 said, in a 15g water changes will be sufficient but if you're tossing a bunch of corals in a new tank it might just not be ready for them yet.

How old is the tank? Like @lmm1967 said, in a 15g water changes will be sufficient but if you're tossing a bunch of corals in a new tank it might just not be ready for them yet.
The tank is 8 months old. I’m currently cycling a 30 gallon to switch over to.

Flow does a lot of things. In simple terms, flow helps with gas exchange, cleans the corals, and bring food to the corals. That can not be done manually. Doser on the other hand just replenishes used elements. That can be done manually. With that said, with your nano tank, you really don't need a super powerful powerhead, you can get something like the jaebo or any small cheaper powerheads and it'll work just fine. (I use the smallest jaebo I got for about $20 from Amazon on my 18gal nano fuge, although no sps in it, I still get a ton of flow and have to tone it down a notch). Doser on the other hand, I'll advise to get one with good quality. With that explained, flow is definitely more important than a doser in my opinion cos it can't be replicated manually. Also for your specific tank, price wise, you could get away with a cheaper powerhead.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Honestly thanks. I’m going to take that advice.

Back