what algae to use in refugium, is caulerpa bad for a reef tank?

90gallon4me

Market
Reaction score
I've been using caulerpa algae for many years now. Is this what everyone is using or should i get a different type? Ive heard stuff about it dumping nitrates back into the tank. Can some explain to me what the deal is with caulerpa.

I just removed my old school bioballs from my sump and now im trying to figure out if everything else is ok to keep in there. I just have live rock and the caulerpa.

90GALLON4ME;1014889 wrote: Me too and either bio balls or caulerpa is giving me extra nitrates.

Bio balls are notorious for that and why the hobby has seemed to move away from them

90GALLON4ME;1014883 wrote: I've been using caulerpa algae for many years now. Is this what everyone is using or should i get a different type? Ive heard stuff about it dumping nitrates back into the tank. Can some explain to me what the deal is with caulerpa.

Caulepra is a great macro algae to use in your fuge. It is very safe, and one of the most commonly used algaes for nitrate/ phosphate control.

the only thing is if it pops inside sump you are going to get it all in the dt. If you dont have a fish or invert that will eat it, it will eventually take over.

So whats all this asexual talk with caulerpa? If it turn asexual it can release nitrates back into the tank?

Actually, it turns sexual. As I understand it, as long as you keep it trimmed, you shouldn't have a problem. Watch for any leaves/branches turning white and remove immediately.
I also use caulerpa along with chaetomorpha(spelling?), known as great for refugiums as it doesn't go sexual. I haven't had issues, but seen tanks on forums that have crashed supposedly due to the caulerpa issue.

Shrimpy Brains;1015080 wrote: Actually, it turns sexual. As I understand it, as long as you keep it trimmed, you shouldn't have a problem. Watch for any leaves/branches turning white and remove immediately.
I also use caulerpa along with chaetomorpha(spelling?), known as great for refugiums as it doesn't go sexual. I haven't had issues, but seen tanks on forums that have crashed supposedly due to the caulerpa issue.

Hmmmmm.... Maybe I don't need a fuge......

thefishbuddy;1014914 wrote: I need some. When yall are ready to trim.
IDK yet if I'll make this weekend's coming up February meeting but if I can I'll bring you some , if I plan to make it I'll message you the day before.

Raz0945;1015232 wrote: How about Codium Macroalgae, how good is it for your refugium? Holley

Wouldn't hurt, but I think it is a slow grower and likely wouldn't process as much nitrate as the others.

90GALLON4ME;1014929 wrote: So whats all this asexual talk with caulerpa? If it turn asexual it can release nitrates back into the tank?

The sexual phase for the caulepra is not a big deal and is fairly rare. It is triggered by a day/ night cycle... all you have to do is leave your fuge light on all the time and it will never happen.

Back