what anthias

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
i like the colors these beautiful fish have all of them but was wondering which one would do best in a 90 gal and is easier to take care of i am going to have some aggressive fish such as tangs and a flame angel what would you suggest

if possible please list waht kind of care is needed for the particualr fish and foods they would like to eat

Bartletts are probably a good bet, as they themselves can be kind of aggressive. I got a group of three and I'm down to one now due to in-fighting. They are stunning in my opinion. They are also an easier to care for species, and readily available.

Oh, and mine eat pellet food no problem--new life spectrum. So does my mandarin!

A group of lyretails are everyones fav... probably the easiest to keep....

saltwaterfish.com has lyratails on sale for 15 for makes and 20 for females if you are stil interested on going in on an order LMK

Like this? I have 2 now ,one has changed to a male and dominates the other. They will hold the own with most fish.
019-1.jpg
alt="" />

I dont think you would have a problem mine have a large wrasse and a power brown that say clear. Some anthias will grow to a nice size, they are a cold, deep water fish and some times takes them time to ajust to a reef tank with high power lights. Or you can get a gang like this and not worry about it.
Fathersday012.jpg
alt="" />

A kind of cliqued comment on anthias is that they need to be fed frequently. While overquoted, I think this is the key to anthias husnbandry, particularly in groups. If you wantn a functional group, I think you will need to feed very frequently.

To answer the original question, I wouldnt classify any anthias as "easy to keep" in groups for just this reason. If you are willing to devote the time, effort, and resources to adequately hosue them and feed them frequently (and deal with the subsequent nutrient concerns), then, as mentioned, bartletts and lyretails are great choices. Just dont expect to get a group, treat them like damsels, and be surprised when they all die.

Not all anthias are from cold or deep water.

Lyretail, bartletts and disbars are the 3 kinds to look for since they are the easyer to keep(meaning getting them to eat) An auto feeder is key for anthias, but while the three types listed can be adjusted to once a day feeding 2-3 times a day really helps out. My auto feeder feeds pellets twice a day(not very much though) and I feed a mix of frozen once a day(ish)

If you want a group the best bet is to get all females, but if they are in a set at the store its usually not a big deal.

I saw a few different anthias at CBA this weekend. I think im gonna go pick up two more lyretails this weekend if they are still there.

Back