What are Everyones thoughts on a coral only tank!

camg

Market
Reaction score
I have just recently lost a coral beauty and dont really want to keep spending money on fish that are just not wanting to live. im hoping for t-5 lighting in a few weeks. any thoughts on a coral only tank?

I know I like movement in my tank, if its LPS and softie dominant tank, then you'll have movement. If its SPS specific, then you really need fish to make the tank look alive!

I've seen both though...

Right now I have just coral and inverts as well, and I have had comments that I don't really need fish because the tank is so fascinating without them. I really like running it without fish, because it's filled with pods just running around and playing like little monkeys -- big ones will run at the little ones, which then scatter, for instance.

Lately I have had mysis really starting to get going, and those things are really neat the way they constantly glide around in figure-eights.

I see new stuff every day -- lots of times it's a new critter that I am trying to ID. As long as you have lps and softies, as Dakota9 says, you'll be fine.

you could always just try it and maybe add a fish later if you want. A few things first though, make sure your tank is not causing the fish to die. Fish are much easier than coral. 2nd: you want a mature tank if you're going to do stony corals with pristine, stable parems. Most softies should be no problem, however.

IMO, fish poop is coral fertilizer. I won't say that fish are necessary, but I certainly believe they are helpful in seeding the tank with a variety of nutrients. It is possible the waste produced is greater than the benefit, but my opinion is that they are far more beneficial than harmful in that regard.

You can always do what I do... go with cheap fish. I honestly find a small school of chromis to be very attractive and it won't break the bank if you loose one or five.

if my coral beaty had brookynella, will it stay in the tank even after the fish are gone and will it effect my corals?

camg;121583 wrote: if my coral beaty had brookynella, will it stay in the tank even after the fish are gone and will it effect my corals?

Brook can live in fallow tanks for I believe up to 6 weeks after that they will die off. It should not affect your corals, this is a fish only disease.

Back