what are my options for an over flow tank when I have a tempered bottom?

gajeep94yj

Market
Reaction score
new guy here so if this has been asked please forgive me, new to the site and to fish tanks in general...:eek:

my wife would like a salt water tank. we picked up a 35 gallon tank that I had planned on putting an over flow and sump set up on it.

the more i look at it the more I think I have a tempered bottom. I used the polarized sun glasses and blue screen test and while it's not as clearly obvious as the ones on youtube I do still see the streaks in it. so drilling the bottom is out.

if I still wanted to do an over flow what options do I have? can I plumb out of the back or side of the tank? I have not seen any like that so I am sure there is a reason but since the back isn't tempered I could drill the hole an inch or so off the bottom????? is there a reason no one does this?

I am in the Cumming area also, are there any good stores there? I went to one on 141 (south of 120) and when I asked about putting a sump in he said there wasn't any kits to do that and he has never done that. my guess is he wanted to sell me a new tank.

thanks,
Seth

Welcome Seth. You can do a "Hang on the back" overflow box. They work but there are problems with them if not maintained correctly. If the back is not tempered you could go with a bean animal which is my favorite type of overflow. Search for "Bean Animal Bar Nd Grill" to see how they work. I did that on my last tank. If you want to see pics of it search this site for "Rich's 125". Not to be confused with Rich's 120 which is my current build. :)

oh yea one more thing, we were trying NOT to do a hang on the back becuase from what I read if the siphon is broken it can over flow the tank.

I will go look at the ones you mentioned.

so is drilling the back out of the questions?

Anyone have any good write up for that set up? Looking at the ghost overflow but that is a commercial setup right?

Any place near Cumming that will drill them?

a>

Back