What are people using for Aquascaping glue/adhesive found locally

hatzo1

Market
Reaction score
As the title says,what are people using for Aquascaping glue/adhesive found locally. We are starting my son a tank soon and are gone to be building an aquascape but I really hate to have to order stuff if I can find it local. Suggestions?

Any super glue that lists cyanoacrylate as the only ingredient will work; you can get that from the dollar store or hardware store. I have used Seachem Reef Glue and IC-Gel as well, which I would venture to guess is at most fish stores. But all of these come in a tube, and for me, they always clog up at the tip after each use and the tube often splits open. For those reasons, I always buy Thick Super Glue from Bulk Reef Supply because it comes in a bottle instead. There are a couple of other companies that sell glue in a bottle and you might find them at your LFS. Bottom line, in my opinion bottle > tube, but both will do the job.

Any super glue that lists cyanoacrylate as the only ingredient will work; you can get that from the dollar store or hardware store. I have used Seachem Reef Glue and IC-Gel as well, which I would venture to guess is at most fish stores. But all of these come in a tube, and for me, they always clog up at the tip after each use and the tube often splits open. For those reasons, I always buy Thick Super Glue from Bulk Reef Supply because it comes in a bottle instead. There are a couple of other companies that sell glue in a bottle and you might find them at your LFS. Bottom line, in my opinion bottle > tube, but both will do the job.

Sorry, ignore my comment, I think you are probably looking for suggestions on epoxy putty or mortar. I haven't used any. Some people also drill and use acrylic rods.

Last edited:
Sorry, ignore my comment, I think you are probably looking for suggestions on epoxy putty or mortar. I haven't used any. Some people also drill and use acrylic rods.

LOL yea I need a lot, so I was hoping I could find something at HD or Lowes. I plan on drilling and using rods but looking for some adhesive,

super glue gel(i get mine in 20 packs on amazon) and oatey fix it stick. you get it at lowes

Just looked up the Oatey Fix It Stick, description includes "Steel filled material, mixes in the hand and hardens in minutes", So I have to ask how much have you used, how long ago, etc., no problems from it? How long did you have to let it cure?

I have been using fix it sticks for the past 10 years with no issues at all. The actual expensive reef epoxy causes my skimmer to go nuts and cures too hot and burns some corals, this stuff doesnt. Over the past 2 weeks alone I have literally made 130 frags with it. I order it from lowes and get a box of 12 every time. Usually lasts me a year.

Cure time is the same as any other 2 part epoxy, you have about 5-10 min to get it in place and 20 min until its hard. Then 24 hours for a full cure time.

Be afraid of copper in a fish tank, not steel or iron. Worst case it rusts, and guess what rust is....GFO.

When building an aquascape, if you're aiming for something permanent use epoxy that is reef safe on dry rock that has been rinsed and re-dried to remove the dust.

For something stable but can be disassembled use this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-48-in-Reflective-Rod-in-Orange-31474/304685319
and cut 3-4" pieces off then drill holes with one of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-B...de-Rotary-Hammer-Drill-Bit-HCFC2061/202242771
that are deep enough into each piece of rock so they can be pushed together enough to touch.
Bigger rocks may need more than one piece of rod to hold securely.

For mounting frags to the scape I use gel superglue or epoxy. But the stuff @enderg60 posted about sounds interesting. I'm gonna buy some too!

Last edited:
I have been using fix it sticks for the past 10 years with no issues at all. The actual expensive reef epoxy causes my skimmer to go nuts and cures too hot and burns some corals, this stuff doesnt. Over the past 2 weeks alone I have literally made 130 frags with it. I order it from lowes and get a box of 12 every time. Usually lasts me a year.

Cure time is the same as any other 2 part epoxy, you have about 5-10 min to get it in place and 20 min until its hard. Then 24 hours for a full cure time.

Be afraid of copper in a fish tank, not steel or iron. Worst case it rusts, and guess what rust is....GFO.

Whats "GFO"

Thanks, that's great to know. I know some alloy steels contain things I wouldn't want in my aquarium. Good to know that such an inexpensive option is safe. I'll be picking some up real soon.

Resurrecting an old thread here! Are Fix it Sticks from Lowes still a good option? I see this thread is a couple of years ago. Thanks!

You can find epoxy sticks at many LFS or you can use JB Waterweld found at big box home improvement stores

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Back