what are you running in the chambers on your biocube?

mopar9012

Market
Reaction score
Im down sizing to a bio cube 29. I am completely new to these tanks, not the hobby. Anyways, i bought a 29 biocube used, soI have no owners manual. This is the way mine is setup. Chamber 1:heater, filter pad. Chamber two: two small pieces of live rock(more will likely to come) Chamber 3:return pump

This got me thinking. If chamber 1 fills all the way up BUT all I can fit in there is the filter catridge and my heater, Chamber 2 doesnt fill up, Chamber three is supposed to be within those min and max lines, where are you all putting things like a skimmer, heater,etc in these tanks without things being visible.

Bust out the floor in the middle of the first chamber, use that chamber for a skimmer. Chamber two I run Carbon, Phosban, filter floss, and some live rock. Chamber three I have my heater, ATO float switches, and the return.

You can look into a media basket, I made one from egg crate but they sell some nice ones if you google it.

I have the 14 but I removed the floors and put the heater and temp probe in chamber 1. chamber 2 I have the intank media basket with floss on first tier, 2nd chemi pure elite carbon, 3rd I have some cheto with an underwater light. Chamber 3 I have some purigen and replaced the return pum with a pico 1200. Ive Been debating on taking out the purigen but we will see, I like having overkill!..lol

For sure remove the bio balls and clean the sponges at least once a week or remove them altogether because they end up being a nitrate factory over time.

before I go busting floors, do I need to do anything special to get these out? or just get something to jam it with and go jam it? lol

I figured everyone was getting rid of the bio balls and filter pad. I just got them to clear up the water from the start. Will the first chamber be wide enough to put an aqua C remora HOB skimmer in there?

I used a butter knife. First just peel the silicone off around the false floor, then pop it out with the knife.

The floors are free floating, just stick your hand down their or just get a flat head screw driver and pry with one of the vents and that should do it. Far as your skimmer, any hang on the back is going to be noisey so i would get one that can fit in one of the chambers such as a Tunze 9002 Protein Skimmer or AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer. Most of this can be found here http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-29_c16.htm">http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-29_c16.htm</a>

Edit: ahh Db beat me to it...lol

I run floss in 1 and heater and phosguard and carbon in middle then just return pump in last one. I left the false floor in.

There are several skimmers that should fit internal to the first chamber.....CPR SR3, Oceanic Biocube Skimmer, Sapphire, Tunze 9002, AquaticLife Mini....I'm sure there's another one out there that I'm forgetting to mention.

I have the Oceanic Biocube skimmer and I would not recommend it. I have though heard some good things about the aquaticlife skimmer and it costs about the same

db366;704446 wrote: Bust out the floor in the middle of the first chamber, use that chamber for a skimmer. Chamber two I run Carbon, Phosban, filter floss, and some live rock. Chamber three I have my heater, ATO float switches, and the return.

You can look into a media basket, I made one from egg crate but they sell some nice ones if you google it.

How did you make your media basket exactly, because I would rather make a cheap one than buy an expensive one :up:.

I made mine using some black acrylic I had laying around but here is another easy to build one..

index.php

Back