What are your thoughts on this.

islandreef

Market
Reaction score
Want to try some auto dosing but cant afford the big systems. What are your thoughts on maybe getting two of these and using 2 part from BRS.

Amici;749485 wrote: Heres my 2 cents. I've never used that pump but when it comes down to dosing something that has and can nuked tanks due to malfunction the extra $70 each will be much better than hundreds if not thousands in coral. China made dosing pumps are not a risk I would take to save money. Now china LEDs are a different story. :)

I have to agree there are some things you can substitute but other things are just not worth it. Sometimes trying to save a Buck will cost you 5 later when you coulda just spent 3 to begin with.

I have some for sale that are here:
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68603">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68603</a>
LMK.

Aside from suspect quality, those are 20ml/min, which is a lot of flow for dosing. You'd have to be able to turn them on and off in sub-one minute increments to get the amount dialed in. You are better off with dosers that do roughly 1 ml/min (e.g. BRS). You might find you need 50 ml/day (BRS has a calculator), so with 1ml/min, you can dose with an electronic timer for 10-15 minutes several times a day.

I've used dosing pumps for years...Aquamedic...however, there is a better brand..can't think of it now...

Weekly water changes with a good quality salt will almost completely alleviate you're need to "Dose" anything. Others will disagree, this has been a proven, solid method for me. Its cheaper in the end, and there's no chance of a dosing mistake or equipment failure. This is just my opinion.

stoney1118;749527 wrote: Weekly water changes with a good quality salt will almost completely alleviate you're need to "Dose" anything. Others will disagree, this has been a proven, solid method for me. Its cheaper in the end, and there's no chance of a dosing mistake or equipment failure. This is just my opinion.

Agree, except in a heavy loaded system with calcium and alk consuming corals....
Dosing of some type is needed....my SPS would be long dead and gone without dosing...

mysterybox;749530 wrote: Agree, except in a heavy loaded system with calcium and alk consuming corals....
Dosing of some type is needed....my SPS would be long dead and gone without dosing...

My system was very very heavily stocked with sps, and I had no calcium or alk deficiency issues at all. However I was doing weekly 50 gallon water changes, with a total water volume of 230 gallons in my system. Hands down the best sps growth rate I have ever had. It's just what worked best for me, I have had calcium reactors, and I have used a number of reputable brand chemicals trying to keep up with calcium and alk demands in my system. Not to argue your point, it is very valid. This is simply my input based on my personal experiences!!

Dakota9;749548 wrote: No one asked how big a tank are we talking about dosing?????

Size doesn't matter, IMHO...I've always had to dose no matter what size tank...calcium and alk needs to be replenished daily IMHO.

Amici;749485 wrote: Heres my 2 cents. I've never used that pump but when it comes down to dosing something that has and can nuked tanks due to malfunction the extra $70 each will be much better than hundreds if not thousands in coral. China made dosing pumps are not a risk I would take to save money. Now china LEDs are a different story. :)
Agreed.

Back