What can a 70w halide support

ace1204

Market
Reaction score
So im thinking of setting up a 16"x16"x16" cube with a 70 watt halide on top of it, my question is will this light be strong enough to support a clam and SPS??? The light will be a 70w current Sunpod

I would think probably not. Although the tank is small, you still have a 16" depth; if the clam is on the sandbed, I don't think the 70 watter will do much for it.

Maybe someone else who has used the 70 watters can chime in though.

Yes. But very high in the tank and insure that you skim the living daylight out of that tank considering it is so small, I have had sps in and 12gal nano with 54w pc very high in the tank and i would change half the water out weakly with my large systems water to try and maintain the parm (paramaters) of the water as much as possible considering the swings in parms in such little water volume. But everyone is diff so flame on.

I was thinking about this...I think if you maintain the calcium levels and temps, they could survive. Not sure if you'd get the sps to colour up as they should though.

Well you can help that with a crazy amount of flow with alittle less light i have herd that this works but I am one to overkill everyting...all of mine were green acros which are fairly easy to maintain color and they lost a little but you got see a faint green on them but that was with pcs...with a halide i am sure they would maintain color...you can always borrow a par meter and test someones par where a certain sps lies get a frag of that and try to match the par in your tank if it is worth it to you

this guy was my inspiration although he is running smaller tank and 150w

showthread.php

Clint,

I know you've got several tanks. Can you just plumb this one into a larger system?

I'm by no means an expert, but I think if the SPS were high up and you maintained proper calcium levels, they would be alright.

How old is the 70W MH?

Ace. I could probably sell you my light if I do break the tank down as I won't set-up the frag tank right away.

CGill311;198733 wrote: Clint,

I know you've got several tanks. Can you just plumb this one into a larger system?

I'm by no means an expert, but I think if the SPS were high up and you maintained proper calcium levels, they would be alright.

How old is the 70W MH?

Both my cubes are set up on opposite sides of my room, and my other tanks are in different rooms, i may be able to plumb it into one though hmmmm ill have to play around with some measurments tonight, and thanks for the compliments on the Clowns :) Glad i got them :)

Steve;198735 wrote: Ace. I could probably sell you my light if I do break the tank down as I won't set-up the frag tank right away.

No a big fan of the clip-ons on a rimless tank which this would be, but lmk a price bc im sure i could use it on another tank.

Alright, I won't be doing anything with it for a while, and I may not even sell it. But if I did it would be about 150. It's only been used for 3-4 months.

I can't say with just the halide but I run a 70w halide on my biocube29 with the stock pc's and can support SPS at just about any level in my tank(havn't tried the sandbed).I also dont have clams so I couldn't tell you on that. If you dont plumb it into another system just be sure to keep up with water changes

you can keep clams under candlelight, provided you have enough candles and the clam is close enough. So it is really a tough question. Clams are one of the few marine autotrophs that CANNOT have too much light. The more light, the better they do. And maintaining calcium, alkalinity, filter food WILL NOT replace the necessity for light. It is possible, but the clam will need to be high up.

Oh yeah, one more thing- clams are calcium and alk hogs, so you'll need to pay attention to them vigilantly. As the water volume gets smaller, the demand to maintain get higher.

I had a crocea clam about 10" under a 70 watt HQI in my 12 gallon nano for about 2 years and it did just fine. Again, gotta watch the parameters.

Back