what can live at 95 degrees?

krb

Market
Reaction score
Apparently true percs, turbo snails, astrea snails, various soft corals, and maybe an emerald crab. I woke up to a tank full of steamy water. my cat decided to play the temp probe wire last night and pulled it from the tank. It was at 95 when I got up. I immediately shut down the heaters and expected the worse - total loss. Well, after my first appointment, the percs are alive but stressed, the snails are alive, corals seem ok, I haven't found the emerald crab yet, but maybe he made it. I guess I'm, and the creatures, are lucky:yay:

Dang Kirk....

Hope everything fairs well. Bring it down slowly. I'd do a big water change once you get the temps stable. The high temps will definitely kill off some inhabitants. Let me know if you need anything!

flyingarmy;129288 wrote: Dang Kirk....

Hope everything fairs well. Bring it down slowly. I'd do a big water change once you get the temps stable. The high temps will definitely kill off some inhabitants. Let me know if you need anything!

Thanks Mark, I appreciate it.

Mine hit 96 the christmas before last. clown lived and 60% of the zoos but all other softy's melted. Crabs lived, 50% snails lived and one sps (no id) no shrimp made it and no mushrooms.

Hope the 1 degree of difference saves some of your stuff. I did ice baths and dosed a crap load of prime. My tank was totally white with decay by the time my friend found it. I hope yours does better than mine!

/donny

Sorry for the trouble on this... these kind of failures/problems can really be discouraging sometimes. I set the therms on my heaters to 85 for this reason. Those unregulated heaters scare me.

Just looked back at my records...mine maxed at 90 I do hope you make out ok..

I didn't do it!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
129373=7922-funny_cat.gif_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
129373=7922-funny_cat.gif_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="funny_cat.gif_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

The answer to your question on your post....I live VERY well at 95 degrees..Bud light, shorts, pool and well....bud light, shorts and the pool. :)

your lucky bro....hope everything fares well from here....and Id feed that cat to the fishes. LOL

Just got in from my morning appts. Lost all astreas, ricordia is not looking so good. everything else seems OK. The temp is back to normal. i am mixing water as I type.

when we had those triple digit temp my air conditioning went out and my tank went well over 100 and i had a total loss ,you got pretty lucky you caught it when you did.

i lost about 50% of my coral during a probe malfunction.. hope the rest makes it..i lost about 2 buckets of sps when my tank hit 90 plus for 24hours...fish did fine..

KRB;129286 wrote: Apparently true percs, turbo snails, astrea snails, various soft corals, and maybe an emerald crab. I woke up to a tank full of steamy water. my cat decided to play the temp probe wire last night and pulled it from the tank. It was at 95 when I got up. I immediately shut down the heaters and expected the worse - total loss. Well, after my first appointment, the percs are alive but stressed, the snails are alive, corals seem ok, I haven't found the emerald crab yet, but maybe he made it. I guess I'm, and the creatures, are lucky:yay:

Can you guys think of good safety measures in the case the temp probe does get accidently removed from the water? I'd hate for my RKII to fry my tank if I forgot to put the probe back in the water.

My only suggestion it to use a zip-tie or a strong suction cup to make sure it doesn't come out of the water. It's also a good idea, especially if its on a controller to have it set only at 85 max. Also, using 2 smaller heaters instead of one big one is some protection in case one fails.

Victor626nj;130096 wrote: dude what about the ywg and the royal gramma did they make it ?

This was a new tank that I picked up the day berfore it decided to boil. All is lost except a couple of zoos and a pair of percs.:boo:

Can you guys think of good safety measures in the case the temp probe does get accidently removed from the water? I'd hate for my RKII to fry my tank if I forgot to put the probe back in the water.
I use two probes and two heaters with the heaters temps set to max 85. I don't like heaters that don't have internal therms since you are relying on one temp probe to keep your tank from boiling. Two small Visitherm Stealths work great and you will likely never have an overheating problem.

Back