What causes a fish to *flash* ?

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
Do they ever do this when there is no parasite/disease/bacterial infection present? Do they ever just "have an itch" or maybe they're bored or stressed?

We've had fish in a hospital tank since 3/30, being treated with Paraguard daily and getting daily water changes. They've shown no symptoms since being put into the tank.

Today a yellow tang is flashing. Should we be concerned? We haven't been giving him his algae clip as regularly as we should. Could it be that?

He's a pervert!! Seriously i think there are lots of reason for them to do so. I guess you are referring to them spreading fins wide and kinda of a strut?? Bubba my sailfin was annoyed or showing off for Kelsey yesterday, not sure which. My purple was doing it alot one day and I dicovered he did not like a container next to the glass!!

If that is what you are talking about, my rhino blenny does it every time i come close to the tank. I dont think he likes me, he even opens his mouth like he's tryin to warn me to stay back!

No, I'm talking about scraping on rocks, sandbed or sides/bottom of tank.

Every time I have seen a fish do that in fresh or salt it never ends well, I hope that is not the case with yours though.

I've had plenty of fish that have done that in the past *once in a blue moon* that never showed any other symptoms, remained healthy and are living to this day.

That's why I wondered if every now and then they just *have an itch* they gotta scratch.

Yellow tang seems to be perfectly fine now -- good color, eating well, active.

I think every tang i have does it once in a while. Mine like to do it against my candy coral colony for some odd reason.

Certain fish will do so behaviorally, to display terrirtory (ie- wrasses). Fish can get "itches", and it may just be that.

I have a bar goby that does this every time i do a water change. None of my other fish do though. He's done it for the last 7-8 months, has good appitite, color and is active. Maybe he just gets ticked off at me.

tgray3;329884 wrote: I have a bar goby that does this every time i do a water change. None of my other fish do though. He's done it for the last 7-8 months, has good appitite, color and is active. Maybe he just gets ticked off at me.

Our sleeper gobies will do this from time to time also... they'll hit the sand on their sides a few times and then dive in to get mouthfuls of sand. I think they may be trying to wake up the sand bed or something before getting a bite.

jmaneyapanda;329746 wrote: Certain fish will do so behaviorally, to display terrirtory (ie- wrasses). Fish can get "itches", and it may just be that.

Thanks. Helps to put my mind at ease hearing this from the voice of experience.

My blue damsel has been doing that today and he is scraping himself up too. That or my domino is accosting him. PITA to catch them too

Back