What causes a torch to melt?

ga-peaches72

Market
Reaction score
I got a torch last year from Keen and it has been doing really well untill the past few days. It looks like it is starting to melt from the bottom up. I looked at it and did not see any little bugs or any thing on it. Had water tested and every thing was in line. What else do I need to do? I will try to get pics when I get home to night.

They are on the bottom of my tank. And the temp in the tank is around 80-82 degrees. So not much has changed in that area.

Only where it looks like it is melting. It looks like it is melting for a lack of better words and under that you see it skeleton under it. The top look good still.

The brown jelly like substance is a bacterial infection!! It will kill the coral!!! Remove the coral from the tank and treat it with a coral dip (iodine). Try and be careful with the removal and not let the jelly fall off or get blown off by powerhead as it can attach to other corals. Is there any place you can placethe torch outside of the main tank while it heals? Or maybe in a basket in the main tank??

The coral dip (iodine) is this the same stuff you add to the tank of is this a different kind? Not sure I will have to check and see the water quality in my 10 gallon. But I do not have a really good light to put over that tank will that cause more damage?

Kinda the same thing .The kind you supplement usually comes in the iodide form not the iodine form. The lfs store will probably have a coral dip(disinfectant) I use the seachem brand not sure why I think someone gave it to me. If the water qaulity checks out in the 10 then no light for a couple days is ok.
I would not go over 3 days, The coral will probably look better in a day or two, or at least the brown stuff will have gone away.

Brightwell has a dip called medicoral I believe that is a 3 part iodine dip that will help.

I had a torch melt from the same thing back when I first started. Wish I knew than what I know now, I could have saved it.

Matt

The guy at my lfs said he did not think it was anything but my angels bitten it. Then he said it may have gotten sick after that. I have never seen any of my fish go near it. They avoid it and the green carpet like they were the plague.

He also said to take the same iodine I put in my tank to treat the torch also. Any other ideas?

I assume he meant tank water. That sounds about right. I would do it two days in a row. That probably will cure it ,
keep us posted

They also have some Lugol's by the cash register if you want to dip it. Left side, middle of the shelf.

Back