What do I do with stringy algae in my tank ???

Grey.E

Market
Reaction score
For a couple of weeks now I have this stringy algae in my tank.What do I do

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Remove what you can by hand, add some snails, hermit crabs, and 1 or 2 emerald crabs. Also the addition of a tang will help. Test your nitrates and phospates and try to keep them low. Looks like you got.some new tank uglies. How old is the tank?

4 months now I only have a 40 gallon and no skimmer yet after this corona I was gonna buy one but I already have some coral in there.Also when you meant remove what you can by hand you must mean live rock.If so what should I do with the live rock

4 months now I only have a 40 gallon and no skimmer yet after this corona I was gonna buy one but I already have some coral in there.Also when you meant remove what you can by hand you must mean live rock.If so what should I do with the live rock
No do not remove any rock i mean literally grab the algae with you fingers

Watch this. Bulk reef supply on you tube is a great source of info. But you are just going through the progression of establishing your tank

If you end up buying more cleanup crew, I highly recommend Reef Cleaners. They have a plethora of information on every invert they sell and what it specifically eats, as well as guides for identifying and removing algae. I will never order my inverts from anywhere else after their emerald crabs eradicated my bubble algae.

In my opinion, that type of algae will remain until the tanks biological filtration matures (bacteria varieties, coraline algae growth) , while you don't have a skimmer you can do more water changes yo remove the waste that the skimmer would remove. Manual removal may help, but if the nutrients are present in the water the algae will reappear soon.

Back