What do you power Your Reefs with?

saltyvixen

Market
Reaction score
So im gonna have to replace one of my power strips and probably the other as well. Whats your hookup as far as wires , plug-ins, and timers go? How go you protect them from water?

1x 8 plug dj strip. No timers besides one in radions, dj strip plugged into gfci socket.

Edit: dj strip on outside of cabinet, no where near open source of water.

I use a DJ strip...8 plugs on my frag tank. On my DT, I use a Reefkeeper Elite with 3 PC4s and that gives me 12 plugs. On the DJ strip, I use duplex cords (they're shaped like a Y with one male and 2 female plugs) so that I can extend out beyond the panel and then I use appliance timers. Don't use lamp timers as they are to weak for some of our devices.

Both of these are located under the tanks but away from water. My RK is on the right side of the stand by it'self. I was going to put up a plexiglass separation panel just to make sure. On my frag, I don't use a sump under the tank...I have a hang on so no water issues there. It's best to mount everything on the outside if possible or separate it somehow so that even one drop of accidental splash can't get to it.

Have you ever considered getting a controller of some type, like maybe a Reefkeeper Lite (RKL)? They are less than $200 new and can be had for much less used from the classifieds here or Reef Central. You control individual power outlets, and set up timers, wavemakers, feeding cycles, lighting control, pH control, ad infinitum.

Just thinking it might be an option for you before you spend the money on new timer type power strips. Once you use one you wonder how you ever got along without it.

You don't have to necessarily use a Reefkeeper (Digital Aquatics) brand, but they are reliable and usually at a great price point on the used market.

Acroholic makes a very good point. The price for a Reefkeeper vs a good strip is 12x however the removal of risk and loss of equipment/fish due to failure is exponential. If you want to go that route, I've got a spare RK Lite with a 4 outlet PC4 and temp probe I can let go for $90. I believe their $120 new. The head unit is a factory refurbished so it's like brand new.

Apex with EB8 & EB4. Just had everything put on its own electrical circuit with a higher load after my wife tripped the breaker using a floor buffer in the same room.

Apex EB8 and EB4, not sure I'd trust anything else. Had too many issues in the past with even high end power strips/timers/etc

Rskillz;953469 wrote: Apex EB8 and EB4, not sure I'd trust anything else. Had too many issues in the past with even high end power strips/timers/etc

Same with me except I am using a Reef Angel.

Back