What Fishy Food?

1mbrews8

Market
Reaction score
So here is my 180G DT stock list as of now:

2 Clowns - (Bullet Hole (S) and Blacker Ice (M)
Purple Tang (L)
Melanurs Wrasse (M)
Royal Gramma Basslet (L)
Some Emerald Crabs

I currently feed about every/every other day and try to alternate between flake and pellets.

I have high nitrates still though and 0 phosphate on hanna (and not a ton of algea anymore), so was thinking of switching to "cleaner" food (and do a ton of water changes).

What do you guys recommend food wise - frozen or what?
How often wise, need more fish/less, how much, etc?

thx!
Mike

I feed frozen food pretty heavily twice daily. But im still able to keep phosphates at .05 or less and nitrates around 5. This is done with an oversized skimmer, refugium and carbon/gfo mix in a reactor

I also feed frozen food as my primary food source. Mysis is the main staple, but I also buy the variety packs so I can offer different foods too. No rinsing, just put the chunk on the water.

I feed primarily frozen too. There are may ways to do it but I mix up mysis, bought in sheets, with a wide variety of other frozen foods. Squid, muscles, clams... Any of the cubed stuff.

You can also make your own frozen. There's plenty of recipes on the net. All in all frozen generally has more PO4 and a little lighter on NO3, which is the opposite of pellet and flake. This should help the situation you're in now.

The Clowns can go longer without being fed, like your doing, probably the gamma too. It's probably best to feed daily though. The Tang and wrasse would do better with daily. If/when you add more fish you'll want to feed more before adding them. This will help a lot with aggression.

So here is my 180G DT stock list as of now:

2 Clowns - (Bullet Hole (S) and Blacker Ice (M)
Purple Tang (L)
Melanurs Wrasse (M)
Royal Gramma Basslet (L)
Some Emerald Crabs

I currently feed about every/every other day and try to alternate between flake and pellets.

I have high nitrates still though and 0 phosphate on hanna (and not a ton of algea anymore), so was thinking of switching to "cleaner" food (and do a ton of water changes).

What do you guys recommend food wise - frozen or what?
How often wise, need more fish/less, how much, etc?

thx!
Mike
Hey Mike. What are you calling high? My nitrates run between 10-25 and I see no ill effects.

I feed primarily frozen too. There are may ways to do it but I mix up mysis, bought in sheets, with a wide variety of other frozen foods. Squid, muscles, clams... Any of the cubed stuff.

You can also make your own frozen. There's plenty of recipes on the net. All in all frozen generally has more PO4 and a little lighter on NO3, which is the opposite of pellet and flake. This should help the situation you're in now.

The Clowns can go longer without being fed, like your doing, probably the gamma too. It's probably best to feed daily though. The Tang and wrasse would do better with daily. If/when you add more fish you'll want to feed more before adding them. This will help a lot with aggression.
Actually going to Walmart now to look into getting some stuff to make some fish food :)

On Salifert, usually getting 100+
Holy moly. Yes. That’s high. How old is the set up?

I have an auto feeder for dry food that feeds 3 times a day and I do frozen several times as well.

my stock list on my 100g is more than triple of yours.

i vodka dose to keep mine under control. Have you consider doing something similar?

Holy moly. Yes. That’s high. How old is the set up?

I have an auto feeder for dry food that feeds 3 times a day and I do frozen several times as well.

my stock list on my 100g is more than triple of yours.

i vodka dose to keep mine under control. Have you consider doing something similar?
Often on probably 12 years old! But didn’t really do much of anything for the last little bit

got some stuff to make some food now but was trying to search and see if there’s any veggies added to make it a little bit more variety conscious? Obviously seaweed, but didn’t know if I should put any lettuce in there or carrots or something LOL

Often on probably 12 years old! But didn’t really do much of anything for the last little bit

got some stuff to make some food now but was trying to search and see if there’s any veggies added to make it a little bit more variety conscious? Obviously seaweed, but didn’t know if I should put any lettuce in there or carrots or something LOL
Na, no other than the veggies. lol

made some and fed them a tiny spoon of the blended left over in bowl and they chomped down on it!!! Looks like a tiny bit goes a long way so will see how it goes!

I have in it:

Garlic
uncooked Shrimp
uncooked scallops
uncooked tuna or salmon
small pellets
small flakes
seaweed sheets torn up
lps and zoa powder
vitamin C brightwell additive
rodi

made enough for 4 or 5 pint ziplocks
added up to maybe $15-20

and a meal for me for the unblended leftovers lol

Reactions: bzb
Good starter recipe for sure! I don’t use RODI, the moisture from the frozen seafood and the liquid vitamins and aminos is plenty to soften up the dried goods.

I add most of what you have up there for chunks, then scoops of:

- ESV Phyto
- Copepod powder
- Paracoccus powder
- Rotifers
- Hikari green pellets (Seaweed Xtreme, I think?)
- dried blackworms
- dried mysis
- dried krill (chopped up)
- Selcon

Raises the price a bit, but feeds the corals and fish in one clump of goo.

Good starter recipe for sure! I don’t use RODI, the moisture from the frozen seafood and the liquid vitamins and aminos is plenty to soften up the dried goods.

I add most of what you have up there for chunks, then scoops of:

- ESV Phyto
- Copepod powder
- Paracoccus powder
- Rotifers
- Hikari green pellets (Seaweed Xtreme, I think?)
- dried blackworms
- dried mysis
- dried krill (chopped up)
- Selcon

Raises the price a bit, but feeds the corals and fish in one clump of goo.
nice! It was getting stuck to the side of the blender, so I felt I had to add some to make it move lol! Still super sticky getting out/moving to bags, etc lol! My kids were NOT impressed lol!

I don’t shop the store you spoke of; too many products made in C. . . Not sure if their beef and chicken is from there. I would go to a Publix; you’ll pay more but the quality of there seafood is pretty good. The prices state if “Wild Caught” and where they are caught.

For what it’s worth; I purchase Wild Caught seafood from Gulf of Mexico and Wild Caught salmon from Alaska. I don’t purchase any “Farm Raised“ seafood because the food they are feeding them is not like their diet from the ocean. Who knows what is in their feed. A place that is self sufficient feeding chickens above their “farm raised” fish. The chicken waste drops into the pools of “farm raised“ fish.

You can find medical studies of the better selection of ”Wild Caught” on the Internet For consumption.

- just my 1/2 cent

Back