what greens do your tangs eat?

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
I have a small sailfin who eats like a monster when it comes to brine/mysis and even flakes...but he will not eat the greens I have offered him which I know is a very important part of their healthy diet.
I offer:
"seaweed salad" the green variety, which he wont even mix up when I feed w/ flakes, he just spits it out. But the turbo snail loves it.
Ocean nutrition herbivore package, he will eat some if he ate everything else, but not much.
I have tried boiled romaine lettuce and carrots. no one like that one.

any fish or human food I can try? I thought about the garlic soak trick, but I'd like to find something he likes...

I get the Publix Nori. My yellow tang eats the seaweed and the others watched. Now they all eat seaweed like it's Christmas. Try the garlic soak. Otherwise, make sure he eats the veggie flakes. Maybe as he gets bigger, he'll learn that it's tasty.

I've seen the question before, but where would nori be located in the store? (what section). Thanks for the suggestion

would this be a healthy veggie like the only one they'd need, or would I still need to supplement elsewhere?

All my fish eat the sheet nori. Even the ocellaris clowns and the watchman goby...

<span style="color: black;">My Sailfin and Yellow will eat plain lettuce, I feed them a variety of things but they just devour lettuce like its going out of style. They like a little zucchini and cucumber also.</span>

dawgdude;200614 wrote: Hey Jeff, I dont know how much truth behind it but I heard that lettuce has no nutritional value to it and should be used as a treat. I know you feed it with other things but I just want to throw it out there since lettuce is alot of water and they still need the seaweed some too.

They only get it when I get it and if you remember me I'm not a big salad guy!

the nori sheets are only in publix that sell real sushi. You have to call and ask which ones sell sushi!

mysterybox;200619 wrote: the nori sheets are only in publix that sell real sushi. You have to call and ask which ones sell sushi!

Thanks for the heads up. The publix by me does not</em> carry sushi. So you saved me a trip to that one...

I have a Yellow Tang and a Sailfin Tang -- both eat Green, Brown and Red Algae sheets. I fold a sheet over a few times and tie it to a rock -- they nibble all day long.

I just feed the Nori. I get big sheets of it from SWC. My Scopas loves the Red and Green. My cleaner shrimp will go to town on the nori as well. The other day I saw my sixline eyeing the tang eating the nori, and the next thing I new the sixline was eating the sheets like no tomorrow.

Matt

You can get nori at any Publix that sells sushi, farmers markets, and asian grocery stores. It is the same thing as Seaweed Select which is marked up to sell at aquarium retailers. Try the garlic soak. Otherwise get another "friend" that is trained to eat nori. Clowns eat nori too. It's the "ooo, what are you eating" training technique. Otherwise, don't bother. Keep him on the veggie flakes.

Back