what happened to my green slimer

spike

Sponsor
Reaction score
Yesterday I looked into my tank and my green slimer had completely bleached out. Two days earlier it was looking good as ever, polyps were out, green as could be. I do not know what happened. It has sit in same spot for months. Last water change about 6 days ago. Parameters are good, everything else is doing fine. I happened like overnight. Anybody have any ideas?

Big D;57705 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">How long have they been in the tank? What type of lighting and what's your water params? Could be heat, but Chris, you have a chiller don't you?</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Big D</span>
I have had my slimmer for 10 months to 1 year. Temp is 81, Nitrate 10, Ph 82, Calcium 440, ammonia 0, phosphate 0.

These things never tell you before it dies. Could be 10000 reasons and I bet everyone here would guess a different one. The best thing for you to do is to think how/if the tank conditons or ANYTHING have changed lately and tell us. Once I've dropped the light or change the photoperiod and stuff RTN'd. Main thing is to keep everything consistent and steady.

Good luck and hope everything else will do good! I've lost 5 big big colonies a while ago due to unstable conditions and lights being tooo low too fast.

Acros don't tend to bleach out overnight without some serious fluctuation. Do you use an RK2, ACJr or AC3?

flaco626nj;57749 wrote: what corals do you have nextt to them

clam, zenia, gsp (its everywhere), hairy mushroom. Nothing touching or that close. Nitrate 10, Calcium 440, Ph 82, Ammonia 0, Phosphate 0.

ramone;57840 wrote: clam, zenia, gsp (its everywhere), hairy mushroom. Nothing touching or that close. Nitrate 10, Calcium 440, Ph 82, Ammonia 0, Phosphate 0.

Alk?

ramone;57962 wrote: no test kit for Alk at this time, I am a baddddd boy

Um, ya, I'd definitely check that. In my experience, it is one of the easiest to test (usually titration, I believe).

I lost 1/3 of my corals about 2 years ago because I quit checking it. pH was fine, and the rest, but Alk had gotten very low. I don't think it would kill things this fast, however.

I started dosing baking soda water per Randy's 2 part recipe to touch it up.

Anyway, it is an important parameter, and worth a check in any case.

-Mike

Alk probably one of the most important thing to check in your tank. It takes over 1 month - probably 4 months for the calcium in your tank to be seriously low if you do water changes, but alk can get low in 2-4 days. I have had 280 calcium for almost a month and nothing died; but when alk was 4 i've lost 4-5 colonies and many frags.

Check Alk, Calcium, Mg, pH+time, and SG and get back to us.

I will go out and get a new Alk test kit tomorrow night.

Back