what is a good calcium test

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
what is a good test out there and why i have used salfirt but dont think is as acurate as i want it to be or is it just over rated

I have heard API is actually one of the better readily available Calcium tests.

I started using the Elos Ca test and like it. Just ignore the line on the vial as it was mis-stamped during manufacturing use a syringe to measure the required 5ml of water.

I like to taste the water...if your water tastes like bananas, too much potassium. Tastes like you've been chewing on a Flintstones vitamin, your CA is around 430 and good to go ;)

Salifert is officially out of business. They couldn't keep their batches accurate and once Elos came to town there was no way they could match them.

I like Elos. Very easy and accurate. API works in a pinch as a general guidelines but overall isn't dead on.

yeah im looking for something with a ppm acuracy and i dont think api gets that ? im sure its just a high or low

yeah, i was using api, and it was reading 420, then i used elos and it read 530. f*** api. ELOS 4 life. haha

I had two current API kits for KH giving me a reading of 13 and 19. I have Elos CA and KH and like them a lot. I will go Elos Magnesium when my Salifert is used up.
Dave

API for calcium is pretty accurate (as long as you keep the bottles capped.) API for any other tests (including KH).....not so much.

I use lamotte for both Ca and Alk. I wouldn't recommend the Ca test though as its a pita to perform and it involves math.. yuck.

reefknight;177801 wrote: I started using the Elos Ca test and like it. Just ignore the line on the vial as it was mis-stamped during manufacturing use a syringe to measure the required 5ml of water.

Elos "hands down"

Patrick at MF said he now recommends Sera for most tests. Apparently they are MUCH more affordable than Elos (calcium test is like 15 bucks) and they are pretty good. He explained to me something along the lines that they are a German product, and due to the higher competition in the market over there, they are a much better product at a much lower price than many others. Apparently they just started exporting to the US. If I get over that way today I am gonna try the calcium one.

I have used the Elos KH and pH ones. They work GREAT! Einsteins has' em. I had a API master reef kit and it wasn't very consistent readings. The Elos ones seem to be more consistent for each reading that is done. If their other tests are as good as these I'd say they are pretty good. They are about $18 a pop though and good for about 60-70 tests.

Back