What is a good KH level?

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I posted a thread last weekend about my more expensive corals looking bad. It turns out that my parameters were out of whack. I'm still confused about KH / Alk though.

My Salifert test kit arrived today and it shows my KH at 6.4 / ALk 2.28 according to their table. When my LFS checked last weekend they had my KH at 7. I've dosed a bit of Seachem Alk buffer since then to start raising it and my corals look better, but I was expecting to see a KH number higher than 7 since I dosed.

What is a good range for KH? The test kit says seawater is 7-8 and the guy at my LFS said I should be at 14.

Ringo is right, but a stable number is better than chasing a specific number. I'd rather be a bit higher than in the 6s though. I'm obsessed with alk checking and stability. Dialing in two part dosing is your best best... Not a fan of traditional buffers

rk4435;986139 wrote: What is a good range for KH? The test kit says seawater is 7-8 and the guy at my LFS said I should be at 14.

You need to stop listening to your LFS. A KH of 14 is high. 7-11 is the recommended range.

There is a ton of great information on all aspects of reef chemistry, and you can educate yourself by reading it. Your corals and fish would benefit greatly. You put yourself at a great disadvantage by solely relying on posted Forum questions and fish store employees, as some people do not know what they are talking about.

A solid chemistry knowledge base is one of the greatest assets a reefer can have. Here it is:

showthread.php

I use to run 12 back when I was sticks only. Now with a mixed reef, I stick to 9.

Back