what is a quit air pump

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
ok so i want to add more oxygen to my tank and want a air pump to help me do this what would be a good very quite air pump

Why do you need more air? Most of us spend our reefing lives getting bubbles OUT of the tank. If you have a sump, you can do several different configurations to help oxygen levels, if they are really low.

there you go with all your ? lol jk cause i want to see if it will help my ph rise instead of additives

How often you doing water changes? What's you ph now? How is your sump configured? Do you have significant ajitation in your sump? Are you tired of the questions?

To answer yours, those blue airpumps that are on rubber legs are about the quietest, I forget the name brand

whisper ....my ph is 8.1 cause i just added kalk but by the middle of the night after the lights go out it drops to 7.8 and i do 30gal water changes every week 2 if i forget ..i have always had a ph issue with tank and the nano

If you run a skimmer, it should be adding plenty of oxygen

I'd keep looking for an alternative...

Are you sure its not your test kit or dirty testing tubes?

no everything is great but along with my ph being low my calcium is too and i think its because my ph is low everything else is fine mag 1350 alk 10 but my calcium is 350 im trying to have sps

leveldrummer;109206 wrote: victor, i have an old air pump, its nice and quiet, i still have it from my old fresh water days, your welcome to it, just gotta figure out a way to get it if your interested.
thanks andy ill get it from you when i get the other brute

Low pH seems more of a symptom than a problem. My suggestion to test the aireation theory is to use this test from reefkeeping:

The Aeration Test
Some of the possibilities listed above require some effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure the pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. The pH should rise if the pH is unusually low for the measured alkalinity, as in http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php#d"><span style="color: #0000ff;">Figure 3</span></a> (if it does not rise, most likely one of the measurements (pH or alkalinity) is in error). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If the pH rises there too, then the aquarium pH will rise with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise inside (or rises very little), then the inside air contains excess CO<span style="font-size: 1-1px;">2</span>, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should).[/QUOTE]

I am sure you have seen this, but it is the definitive pH guide IMO.

Back