What is growing on my rocks?

BookFam

Supporting
Reaction score
I changed my lighting parameters today to make my tank lit in a bit more natural light versus blue light. After looking around I noticed some pinkish nubs coming out and forming on some of my rocks.

Can someone help identify so I know if any corrective action is needed?20230409_122706.jpg20230409_122756.jpg20230409_122739.jpg

Vermetid snails. When I see them, I crush them with a small pair of coral sheers. They are really common and usually aren't much of an issue. However, I have seen some infestations so I crush them when I can get to them. Come folks will put a dab of super glue over the hole. I've never tried it but it certainly sounds like that would work.

Edit: I just want to reiterate that I kill them when I see them but still have plenty in all of my systems. These are not something that I would spend a lot of time trying to find and eliminate. Their population will naturally ebb and flow and the only tanks I've seen with "plague level" infestations have been the result of heavy coral feeding. These little buggers extend a slimy web that catches food from the water column. If you do a water change and notice a gross little streamer coming from a rock, chances are it'll lead back to one of these dudes.

Vermetid snails. When I see them, I crush them with a small pair of coral sheers. They are really common and usually aren't much of an issue. However, I have seen some infestations so I crush them when I can get to them. Come folks will put a dab of super glue over the hole. I've never tried it but it certainly sounds like that would work.

Edit: I just want to reiterate that I kill them when I see them but still have plenty in all of my systems. These are not something that I would spend a lot of time trying to find and eliminate. Their population will naturally ebb and flow and the only tanks I've seen with "plague level" infestations have been the result of heavy coral feeding. These little buggers extend a slimy web that catches food from the water column. If you do a water change and notice a gross little streamer coming from a rock, chances are it'll lead back to one of these dudes.
glue is the best way for sure

I had some (8-10) on a single live rock, I pulled it out of the tank, crushed/poked them with a screwdriver then soaked the rock in fresh RODI water for 24 hours before placing it back.. Its my little science experiment to see how it does...

Looks to be vertimid Snails. It is hard to get rid of these as they will spread throughout the tank. The only option that I seen to get ride of them completely is to take all coral off the rocks and place them in a holding tank and restart the tank. I know that sounds like a lot but that is the only way to get rid of them completely.

I recently started experimenting with coral snow to try and eradicate the ones in my tank. I've got to go back in the tank and break all the vermited tubes so I can more easily see if they grow back or not. If it kills all mine I'll certainly post about it in my build thread once I'm certain.

After reading the replies here and doing more research, I think i did see the vertimid nets at points in time, but never knew what they were.

I've started to take some actions which include:
Purchasing 10 bumblee bee snails
Using coral sheers to clip the base of the tubes
Doing a large water change the evening I saw this post and vacumming out a good portion of the sand ( i could see tubes coming out od the sand).
Adding a uv light to the back chamber / sump area, which is how one guy said he killed off the eggs after 6 months.
Lowering my coral feedings.

I am not seeing the nets when i feed, but its only been about a week and so I know that is no where enough time to get rid of the problem, but hopefully it has been contained.

After about a month with the fixes i posted above, I was looking at my tank today and I can not tell if this is the same issue or something else.

These little things seem to be more white and egg like. A few look like feather dusters at the ends.

Although i have really scalled back the coral feeding in the last month, I havent seen any nets from the vermited snails lately.

I also havent added anything new lately.

Any insight is appreciated.20230508_122840.jpg
20230508_122824.jpg
20230508_122801.jpg

Back