What is needed to add plants to tank?

vaindioux

Reaction score
Hi

I am currently cycling a 55 gallon tank for a community setup. I want to add some plants eventually. Do I need special lights? What if anything is needed.

Thanks a lot

Patrick

i use plant bulbs in my planted tank, i bought them at home depot and everything is growing. just don't keep plecos or goldfish. they are muderous jerks towards plants.

Depends on what you want to grow. A single 48" tube will grow low light level species.

On a 55g, i would use a 2 bulb t5 fixture, one bulb around 6500k and the other 10,000k. If you want a heavily planted tank, you will want to look into adding a source of CO2, as well as the basical nutrients that planks need: nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium. Seachem Flourish is a good fertilizer that gives plants sufficient nutrients. I have made a DIY CO2 system before and i have used the Seachem Flourish Excell. Both ways of CO2 entry worked fine and produced great results.

Thank-you that's very helpfull. I will start with easy plants at first.

Patrick

My 75 planted has 2 single strip lights over it. I have mostly low light plants; java fern and moss is very happy, crypts are actually spreading well, and the amazon swords I got for almost free at work are not growing fast, but are living and looking good.

If you want some java fern/moss, let me know. I always have extra.

hhughes;625132 wrote:
If you want some java fern/moss, let me know. I always have extra.

I appreciate the offer but we are just too far from each others.

Thanks anyway :up:

Patrick

Its all what you want to grow and how fast you want it to grow. I have pc, t5,led, and mh&t5 fixtures over planted tanks they all do great but the more light you add the faster everything grows including algae if your not carefull thats why you have to find your balance.

Back