what is orp

todrick

Reaction score
i was looking at the aqua controller and it says it monitors orp and was wondering what that was

dawgdude;39229 wrote: ORP- Oxidation-reduction potential AKA REDOX. Its used on systems that use an artificial oxidation agent in your tank. It gives you an idea of how healthy your system is because when the level drops it usually is an early warning sign of a problem.

It actually can be used on any tank. Most people who runs ozone use it, because overdosing ozone is very problematic, and the ORP rises in such occasions, but every tank has an ORP value, which, in a vague generalization, measures the "cleanliness" of the water.

Not necessary or required by any means. I have an ORP reader built into my ozonizer, but never really look at it, and even when I do, I dont put much faith in it, because the probes frequently and readily go bad.

I don't see any real reason to use an ORP probe with an aquacontroller unless you are using something like a ozonizer which could potentially alter the ORP value significantly. Why spend $50-$55 on a probe to take a reading of a value you have no way of effecting?

OTOH if you are running ozone there is the danger of using too much and sterilizing your water, so an ORP probe could be invaluable.

Swarf;39247 wrote: I don't see any real reason to use an ORP probe with an aquacontroller unless you are using something like a ozonizer which could potentially alter the ORP value significantly. Why spend $50-$55 on a probe to take a reading of a value you have no way of effecting?

OTOH if you are running ozone there is the danger of using too much and sterilizing your water, so an ORP probe could be invaluable.

While I agree it is unnecessary to get the ORP probe, There are many ways you can effect ORP without ozone. Just usually not as quickly. For example good filtration, skimming, water changes, alkalinity and pH stability, will all change ORP. Also, I think only people who use ozone stupidly would rely on the ORP probe to maintain safety. My ORP probe is realistically useless and I run ozone 24/7. I have it set at a safe level, and monitor my livestock. If I were aiming to maintain an ORP of 500 or above (say for marine mammals or similar), then ORP reading would be critical, and the probe would be invaluable. But for most of our reef tank, dont waste your money, regadless if you have ozone or not.

Not only that, why not spend a few extra bucks on a controller that measuers ORP or COULD measure ORP if and when in the future you would like it too?!? Sound logic to me!

Back