What is the best multi-parameter tester?

anthony

Market
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what the best multi-parameter tester out there is. Between Trident,mastertronic and all the others?

Love my Trident. For the first year I had to clean the hoses occasionally, now I run hot RO water through all the hoses every 4-6 months with the prime function... Better now, less maintanence needed.

Love my Trident. For the first year I had to clean the hoses occasionally, now I run hot RO water through all the hoses every 4-6 months with the prime function... Better now, less maintanence needed.
Awesome..thanks for the reply.. quick question for ya tho.. the trident only works with the newer version of Apex right? It won't work with the classic?

It will not work with the classic version. I just had this conversation with apex customer support when they helped me troubleshoot my system.

Trident does 3 test and you have to use their proprietary test solutions.

Mastertronic can do a ton of different tests, which is why I went that route. I love mine (I actually have two) but they are a PINA to get setup, they have their quirks and like any machine require maintenance.

Once running its simply fantastic. You test however much you feel is needed and you get all the info sent to your phone. And they make tuning dosing or nutrient export much easier as you can see the changes pretty much live. Im currently getting my kalk and calcium reactor running and having the live testing is making things so much less stressful.

At the end of the day its a machine that needs work to keep running (be it once every 3-4 months) that does nothing but allow you to be lazy.

The other option is the reefbot, which I think has a new version out. I have not used that one but people seem to like it as well.

Trident does 3 test and you have to use their proprietary test solutions.

Mastertronic can do a ton of different tests, which is why I went that route. I love mine (I actually have two) but they are a PINA to get setup, they have their quirks and like any machine require maintenance.

Once running its simply fantastic. You test however much you feel is needed and you get all the info sent to your phone. And they make tuning dosing or nutrient export much easier as you can see the changes pretty much live. Im currently getting my kalk and calcium reactor running and having the live testing is making things so much less stressful.

At the end of the day its a machine that needs work to keep running (be it once every 3-4 months) that does nothing but allow you to be lazy.

The other option is the reefbot, which I think has a new version out. I have not used that one but people seem to like it as well.
Thank you for the information on that for sure but quick question I've noticed that they are several different ones ranging from $600 to over 1,400 dollars what are the differences in which do you suggest?

The mastertronic is the one that does all the tests. The alkatronic only tests alk, but it does it up to every hour, it has an output you can connect to a controller and let it turn on and off things like kalk stirrers and calcium reactors. The dosetronic is a 5 head dosing pump. Each one does something different. If you get all 3 you can literally let it test and adjust dosing on the fly.

I have a mastertronic on my Coral QT and it tests twice a week. I have all 3 on my display with alk testing every 3 hours, other stuff twice a week.

I use and have been satisfied with the Trident, but I will preface that with I’m not loyal to any one company and buy what works for my needs. The Trident and head unit (because it’s required) are the only equipment I use from Neptune. It’s very easy and straight forward to setup and whenever it’s needed service, I just order the service kit from Neptune and do the maintenance myself. I believe it was mentioned that you have to use Neptune’s proprietary reagent, but now there is another cheaper option with ABC reagent.

I don’t have any personal experience with Focustronic but when I was researching testing equipment, I did read about them. A lot of people have a difficult time setting it up and also I’ve read where the testing reagent has leaked on internal components and caused problems. It’s also been mentioned the system could be in the process of being phased out and the reason their main distributor (BRS) has significantly cut prices on Focustronic equipment. A27E17F1-14C8-4DF1-A016-3B8656D5C241.png

I use and have been satisfied with the Trident, but I will preface that with I’m not loyal to any one company and buy what works for my needs. The Trident and head unit (because it’s required) are the only equipment I use from Neptune. It’s very easy and straight forward to setup and whenever it’s needed service, I just order the service kit from Neptune and do the maintenance myself. I believe it was mentioned that you have to use Neptune’s proprietary reagent, but now there is another cheaper option with ABC reagent.

I don’t have any personal experience with Focustronic but when I was researching testing equipment, I did read about them. A lot of people have a difficult time setting it up and also I’ve read where the testing reagent has leaked on internal components and caused problems. It’s also been mentioned the system could be in the process of being phased out and the reason their main distributor (BRS) has significantly cut prices on Focustronic equipment. View attachment 86303
Thanks for the reply.. That's good information to know.. especially coming in into this blind...

Back