What is the best sound insulator for a stand?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I think I want to install a sound dampning material in my stand, at least on the doors to see if it helps with some of the sound. Any suggestions on a effective, inexpensive material?

I have considered:
foam matting (like a camping pad)
styrofoam
dynamat type stuff like you can get at HD (aluminum looking)
that pink insulator foam stuff at HD

tagging along. I have some of that dense wooly moving pad type material, that I was going to try, also.

The foam pad for bedding is decent (the stuff that looks like you can sit eggs in the crevices), but you have to watch out for mold.

Dense wood is a great insulator.

Carpet works really well too (you can get exterior carpet).

dynomat is EXTREMELY expensive...

I have tons of extra carpet that i am going to try, hopefully it works well

ares;222846 wrote: sounds like a mold problem... maybe a double wall design with the insulation sandwiched so it doesnt ever get wet or humid.

I wonder how much of a market there is a for furniture grade sound proofed stands.

ares;222846 wrote: sounds like a mold problem... maybe a double wall design with the insulation sandwiched so it doesnt ever get wet or humid.
The stuff I recomended is closed cell and dosnt absorb water.It wont mold any more than any other surface we have been using it for extra padding under the hydroturf on our jetskis for years because of this.

johnr2604;222844 wrote: http://www.softtiles.com/?gclid=CJ3ijPmB_5UCFQNbxwodaCZHFg">http://www.softtiles.com/?gclid=CJ3ijPmB_5UCFQNbxwodaCZHFg</a> you could try the foam mat for floors like this. It will deaden sound plus its waterproof. Also harbour freight sells the same thing cheaper it just dosn't come in pretty colors[/QUOTE]

That stuff is great. John being a contractor would probably know quite a bit about building materials and such.

I do see what you are saying but it would depend how you install it. I would use contact cement which would actually seal the area behind it also. You definatly would not want to staple it up or anything because I agree it would get pretty nasty behind it.

Carty;222829 wrote: dynomat is EXTREMELY expensive...

I have tons of extra carpet that i am going to try, hopefully it works well

Yes it is, but the knockoff stuff I mentioned from HD really isnt too bad.

I am thinking that carpet might be the thing. I'd probably just screw it on the wall, and just replace it as needed? I really just want it on the doors and maybe hanging on the back wall a little.

i have a stand for a 65gal with sump, built (over built actually) with 3/4 oak plywood, stained, "furniture" quailty... can't hear anything unless you open the doors... i think i have about $65 in materials (pm for list of what i used) brother in law built it for me so labor was free :)

Have you tried just a thick towel? You'd be amazed at what a towel will dampen. And if it gets a little moldy, just take it down and wash it...

I used some of that moving pad material today, and it cut my skimmer racket in half. It works well. I wouldnt get it wet, but man it quiets it down.

Back