What is the easiest way to sound proof an aquarium stand?

edulover

Market
Reaction score
My sump makes quite a bit of noise and I would like to sound proof my cabinet. Does anyone have a quick and easy way to do this? I have heard of using styrofoam but don't know if it really works. Any suggestions?

Eddie

I would say pink foam from HD/lowes, as well as the foam used around the front door or windows in a home around the cabinet doors.

If you have the cash you could use Dynamat for cars. Does a good job...

It may be easier to address the source of the sound. Try these...

Extend overflow pipe below the surface of the water. This made a big difference for me.

Buy pads for you pumps so that they are not vibrating against the sump.

Depending on how your baffles are setup, stuff filter floss between them.this also helps with micro bubbles.

I imagine that insulating the stand will increase the internal temp. Not sure that it,ll make a significant difference, but I would keep an eye on the temp effects.

alternative would be figure out whats making the noise and see if you could adjust it some how to make it less noticeable

It will be very difficult to sound proof the stand as the rear of most stands is open. If this is the case with your stand you will be fighting a losing battle.

I would agree with others that you may want to address the source of your sound. Some is normal but if it is excessive and bothersome there are several things you could do, several good ideas have already been suggested.

Back