What is the name of these corals?

gclackum

Supporting
Reaction score
Can someone give me the name of these? Scientific if you know it.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
67215=4406-PICT0160.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
67215=4406-PICT0160.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="PICT0160.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
67215=4408-PICT0160.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
67215=4408-PICT0160.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="PICT0160.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
67215=4407-PICT0162.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
67215=4407-PICT0162.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="PICT0162.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Flowerpot scientific name is goniopora, the first one looks like turbinaria ("cup" coral) to me

he asked for the sceintific names. and i gave him for the open brain.

You're right. The pic shows much more than 12 petals per polyp, definantly a flowerpot. I had fogotten how to tell the difference. Thanks

Ok so the consensus is a
cup coral- Turbinaria
open Brain- Trachyphyllia
Flowerpot- gonioporas

It is hard and the polyps are about 1/8". If you look closely at the picture the polyps are extended.

I agree on the turbinaria, aka scroll coral. saw one very similar at the frag swap in chattanooga although it's polyps weren't out.

jessezm;67251 wrote: Flowerpot scientific name is goniopora, the first one looks like turbinaria ("cup" coral) to me

1. The oft over looked Turbinaria reniformis. The LPS that looks like an SPS. It's not a leather, as you can see it is growing on a rigid plating skeleton. It's like an easier M. capricornis.

2. This one funny. It used to be Wellsophyllia radiata, and it still sold as so. That genus is no longer recognized. It's now known as Trachophyllia radiata. It's not geoffroyi, however. Geoffroyi have a cup skeleton, radiata have a radial skeleton with tall ridges.

3. It appears to be Goniopora Sp. Alveopora only have 12 tentecles. Although, I've never seen that color morph of goniopora. If you want to figure out the species, dig through
a>

Ok Consensus
1. Tubinaria reniformis
2. Trachophyllia radiata- I bought this I think I was told it was a Wellsophyllia, but I couldn't find a reference.
3. Goniopora Sp.

Back