What is this? Help me identify this thing growing.

purplegorilla

Reaction score
Help me identify this hard coral that is growing on one of my live rock. I am thinking it is a plate montipora. What baffles me is that I had it in the corner with hardly any light and it is growing. I finally move it to my new tank and placed it directly under the metal halide lighting.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
61086=4071-coral.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
61086=4071-coral.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="coral.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

FutureInterest;61089 wrote: Looks like its an <span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: red;">encrusting</span></span> green montipora. Nice hitchhiker!

I'd like to know what this means ... I see this a lot

Montipora form branching (digitate), encrusting, plate-like (laminar), massive, convoluted (foliaceous), and even pillar-like (columnar) formations.

All SPS to some degree will encrust though which just means that it is growing by spreading on the surface of whatever its placed on.

Agreed with FI... I have TONS of this stuff in my tank. It plates up very nicely depending on the light you hit it with and mine grows like a weed.

That's incredible! Certainly beats the unidentified crab that hitchiked in my LR, that I put back in my tank.
I didn't know monti's could grow in shaded areas, I thought they need full sun? What are the lighting specs you had it under and how shaded was it? Was it in a high flow area?

In general, montis need less light than most other sps. Some of them require a ton, but others can be grown under PCs as well.

Back